Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
coolant leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default coolant leak

I have a 2003 GT that got hot a couple days ago on the way home. It turned out to be low on fluid and after topping everything off it ran great the day after. I have noticed a faint antifreeze smell, but thought it was just the little bit I spilled slowly burning off. After getting home tonight a puddle started to form under the front bumper. I put the car up on jack stands and found the bottom of the radiator is wet. All three outlets, the drain plug, lower radiator hose, and overflow tube seem to be leaking at the same time. It seemed to be a bit of a stretch that they would all fail at the same time and there is no damage under the car to explain it that way.

Anybody have an idea of what may be happening?
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: coolant leak

Just have to guess but it's probably a leak from one of the hoses and it's running down and around all the fittings or a pin hole leak in one of the hoses and when it gets hot sprays the anti-freeze out and then runs all over making it look like everything leaking.

Most shops carry a tool that attaches where the radiator cap goes will put pressure thru the system causing any place that has a hole or leak to show itself. Try finding the leak that way.
Old 07 Sep 2008, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: coolant leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceWilson View Post
I have a 2003 GT that got hot a couple days ago on the way home. It turned out to be low on fluid and after topping everything off it ran great the day after. I have noticed a faint antifreeze smell, but thought it was just the little bit I spilled slowly burning off. After getting home tonight a puddle started to form under the front bumper. I put the car up on jack stands and found the bottom of the radiator is wet. All three outlets, the drain plug, lower radiator hose, and overflow tube seem to be leaking at the same time. It seemed to be a bit of a stretch that they would all fail at the same time and there is no damage under the car to explain it that way.

Anybody have an idea of what may be happening?
I have narrowed down the location of the leak to the left side of the radiator behind the fan connection. Does anyone know if there is something in that area that might be prone to leak?
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceWilson View Post
I have narrowed down the location of the leak to the left side of the radiator behind the fan connection. Does anyone know if there is something in that area that might be prone to leak?
Turns out the radiator had popped a seam and needed to be replaced. The grand total came to $527.12. If I have to fix one more thing on this car I'm taking it out behind the barn and putting it out of my misery!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I take it the seam couldn't be welded or braised to stop the leak? That would have been a lot less expensive.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I take it the seam couldn't be welded or braised to stop the leak? That would have been a lot less expensive.
That would have been nice, but we couldn't quite pinpoint the leak and I didn't want to take the chance on spending another day in the shop.

Thanks for the good advice.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 06:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

my 03 has been doing it since it was new, the dealer could never find it but I may have discovered it just today. Seems the robber gasket around the edge of the thermostat was not seated in the filler neck properly.

Don't think the radiators can be welded or braised as they are plastic with the tank crimped on
Old 14 Sep 2008, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you got it fixed