PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Pt Cruiser Not Starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2008, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt Cruiser Not Starting

Ok in a nutshell, I came home from work, went into the house and came back out, bout 5 min time. The car would not start; it would turn over but not catch. I can see the alternator and ac belts turn so I ruled out timing belt. Code p 0340 so I looked it up on this site and went ahead and replaced the Cam position sensor. Still the same issue almost like it is getting no spark, except from time to time I get a little bump from the engine like it is trying to start but few and far between. The only other code that shows is a p 1684, but that came up as a disconnected battery, which I did replace the battery. Any other suggestions????
Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser Not Starting

Welcome to the forum.

What year and model do you have? What's the mileage?

Did you clear the codes after you put in a new cam sensor and did another code (except the 1684) come up when trying to start it?

Are you near 100K on the odometer and need a timing Belt?

Did you check the wiring from the cam sensor around the back of the engine over to the passenger side?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

It is a 2001 Limited Edition, at 125,000 miles, had the car for 3 years and was "told" timing belt had already been done. Will The ac and alt still turn if the timing belt is broke? I checked the wires they all look connected snugly.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not a mechanic so I don't know for sure but I don't think those belts will be turning if the timing belt brakes.

Since you didn't answer my question about clearing the old codes and checking for new one's I'll assume you did clear them and there's no others.

You've checked the cam sensor wires because a couple of us (including me) have had the wires brake loose and dangle towards the half shaft and burn them up causing a loss of signal and a P0340 code.

I'm out of suggestions except to try a jump from a good battery (I know you said your was changed) and see if the extra voltage helps in starting it.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'm not a mechanic so I don't know for sure but I don't think those belts will be turning if the timing belt brakes.

Since you didn't answer my question about clearing the old codes and checking for new one's I'll assume you did clear them and there's no others.

You've checked the cam sensor wires because a couple of us (including me) have had the wires brake loose and dangle towards the half shaft and burn them up causing a loss of signal and a P0340 code.

I'm out of suggestions except to try a jump from a good battery (I know you said your was changed) and see if the extra voltage helps in starting it.
How do i clear the codes, and I do not see where the passengers side, I see it going into a bundle, then down to the front of the car.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoron View Post
How do i clear the codes, and I do not see where the passengers side, I see it going into a bundle, then down to the front of the car.
First, you clear the codes by taking off the one of the battery cables for about 5 minutes. That will clear them and when you re-attach the cable and try and start the car if there's any codes that show up they will be new.

Second, are you sure you replaced the Cam Sensor. The one on the drivers side of the engine? The wiring harness for that sensor is supposed to run around to the other side of engine via the rear of the engine.

Did you buy the car used? It might have had major engine work and whoever worked on it ran the harness a different way. Here's a picture of the Cam sensor and you can see the wiring harness headed towards the rear.

Old 11 Sep 2008, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
First, you clear the codes by taking off the one of the battery cables for about 5 minutes. That will clear them and when you re-attach the cable and try and start the car if there's any codes that show up they will be new.

Second, are you sure you replaced the Cam Sensor. The one on the drivers side of the engine? The wiring harness for that sensor is supposed to run around to the other side of engine via the rear of the engine.

Did you buy the car used? It might have had major engine work and whoever worked on it ran the harness a different way. Here's a picture of the Cam sensor and you can see the wiring harness headed towards the rear.

Yes cam sensor was replaced, I found the wire that runs in the back but can not tell where it connects too, do i need to get under the car to reach it?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, you need to get under the car. I don't know exactly where it goes to either but make sure it goes all the way across.

As I mentioned. There's more than one of us that had that wiring harness come unattached to the engine and drop down to touch the half shaft and burn the wires up so they weren't sending a signal. No signal from the cam, code P0340.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds like no spark ?? or no fuel ??