PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SHIFTING PROBLEMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2008, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default SHIFTING PROBLEMS

2002 Manaul PT Crusier :

At about 45,000 mile, The dealer talked me into replacing the shifier cables when I was having a problems shifting into gears. At that time it cost me over 350.00 . I now have 110,000 miles and it starting doing the same thing. I did my homewek and found that they make replacement bushings.

I repleaced the bushings and the car shifts through all gears smoothly and easily when the car ignition is off. Now here is my problem.

After the car warms up, I have a real hard time getting it into first gear and reverse. Smetimes I have to turn off the engine to put it into gear. The minute I turn off the enginem, its easy as could be. When its warm, there is no problem shifting into 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear.

ANybody have any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it without taking it in to the shop and getting ripped off.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04 Oct 2008, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: SHIFTING PROBLEMS

Had a similar problem with mine a few months back (2006 Touring). But, my problem was 1st & 2nd gear. When the engine warms up, the fluid in the slave cylinder that disengages the clutch thins out and doesn't work as well. I had to replace the whole clutch assembly, as the slave is inside and it only comes as a whole assembly ($500+).

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!