Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 Turbo Ignition problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2008, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 Turbo Ignition problems

Ok here is the problem. I have recently replaced the coil, wires and plugs along with the cam shaft position sensor. The car ran excellent right after I replaced all of these things. I drove it for about fifteen miles and turned it off for about an hour. I went to go and drive it again after an hour and it started fine but I got out on the street and got on the accelarator the car started to misfire real bad and it would not shift out of 2nd gear and the check engine light was flashing. I immediately took it to the first repair place I could find. They ran a diagnostic on it a and it came back with a misfire on every cylinder. The tech regapped the plugs and the car seemed to run fine again. I thought the problem was fixed. But after I got home and let the car sit for a while the problem started all over again. I took it up to autozone and the codes coming up now are P2305,P0304,P0300,P0128. Didn't think I would have all of these probs just changing these few things.
Spark Plugs Champion OEM with .50 gap
New Wire Set
New Ignition Coil
New Cam Shaft position sensor
Old 05 Oct 2008, 04:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 Turbo Ignition problems

Don't know about the codes, but you can look them up. The plug gap should be .040.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 05 Oct 2008, 05:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

P2305-IGNITION COIL #2 SECONDARY CIRCUIT-INSUFFICIENT
IONIZATION

P0304 - Misfire detected in cylinder #4.

P0300 - Misfire detected in multiple cylinders.

P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Looks like you didn't plug something in correctly, or did it incorrectly since it was only after you replaced all that you mentioned.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 05 Oct 2008, 05:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
P2305-IGNITION COIL #2 SECONDARY CIRCUIT-INSUFFICIENT
IONIZATION

P0304 - Misfire detected in cylinder #4.

P0300 - Misfire detected in multiple cylinders.

P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Looks like you didn't plug something in correctly, or did it incorrectly since it was only after you replaced all that you mentioned.
How nice. Those codes are all over the forums. I could have done the same thing, but people need to learn to search.

Old 05 Oct 2008, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum.

My first question would be, Why did you change the coil? The OEM coil is about the best thing on the engine.

Did you use Performance Wires? Use dialectric grease? Anti seize on the plugs?

Looking at some of those codes, it looks like the coil could be the culprit. Unless you mixed up the plug wires although it should run rough all of the time rather that after running for a while. How many miles? Did you pull the negative battery cable and let it sit for about 5 minutes to reset the codes? I have to assume that your PT is a 2.4 non-turbo (NA)?

I have more questions than you originally did, sorry, but some of this we need to know to help

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Oct 2008, 07:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

My first question would be, Why did you change the coil? The OEM coil is about the best thing on the engine.

Did you use Performance Wires? Use dialectric grease? Anti seize on the plugs?

Looking at some of those codes, it looks like the coil could be the culprit. Unless you mixed up the plug wires although it should run rough all of the time rather that after running for a while. How many miles? Did you pull the negative battery cable and let it sit for about 5 minutes to reset the codes? I have to assume that your PT is a 2.4 non-turbo (NA)?

I have more questions than you originally did, sorry, but some of this we need to know to help
Yeah, the stock coil is pretty bulletproof even for high hp cars.

Old 05 Oct 2008, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another question to go along with the rest. Why was the Camshaft position sensor replaced? Were you getting a code for that?

I would take your time, pull everything you did off including the sensor and re-install it all making double sure your doing it right.

There's a "target magnet" located in the Camshaft Position Sensor area under the sensor. Did you touch that at all? The magnet has two dowels that have to line up with holes at the end of the camshaft. It can be inserted without lining up the dowels and will cause all kinds of problems.
Old 05 Oct 2008, 11:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
How nice. Those codes are all over the forums. I could have done the same thing, but people need to learn to search.
Maybe you're right, but I had nothing else to do and he wanted to know what the codes were so I helped out.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 07 Oct 2008, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the delay getting back. I was playing Army the last few days. The reason I changed the Cam Shaft positioning sensor is because I originally had a code for it. I just changed the sensor and not the magnet. I thought the 2.4 turbo was still supposed to be gapped at .50. I will try and and switch the coil back and see if that corrects the prob. The car has 100,000 miles on it. Btw I knew what the codes were already and I know they were posted all over the site. I was just trying to put as much info as I could to help with the diagnosis.
Old 07 Oct 2008, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Speaking of telling as much as you can. You have 100K on the engine, was the timing belt changed as recommended? It could be slipping, getting ready to break and causing your problems. Along with the timing belt, the water pump, serpentine and alternator belt should also be changed plus the belt tensioner.