PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

need picture of engine specifically the timing belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2008, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default need picture of engine specifically the timing belt

Can anyone help me? I need a picture of an engine for a 2002 Pt cruiser. The timing belt is broken and my friend needs to fix it! Thanks in advance~
Old 13 Nov 2008, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: need picture of engine specifically the timing belt

Wendy,

Welcome to the forum. Just my $.02. If your friend needs a picture of the timing belt before he tries to replace it, then I seriously think you should have a professional do the job. Even the certified mechanics on this forum say it's not an easy thing to do. Good luck to you and your friend. Here's the picture.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 13 Nov 2008, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Wendy,

Welcome to the forum. Just my $.02. If your friend needs a picture of the timing belt before he tries to replace it, then I seriously think you should have a professional do the job. Even the certified mechanics on this forum say it's not an easy thing to do. Good luck to you and your friend. Here's the picture.

I do these quite often, being a Chrysler technician. I'll give you some pointers. Line up the marks on the crank. Put the belt on and run it to the intake cam. The intake cam needs to be rotated slightly clockwise and then put the belt on the cam and turn it counter clockwise to take up the slack. Clamp the belt to the cam with a light clamp. Turn the exhaust cam slightly clockwise and put the belt on. Turn it counter clockwise and take up the slack. Clamp it down and then run the belt back to the crank over the tensioner. Tighten the belt and then turn the engine over to full turns and check your marks. If your lucky you got it right. If not then try it again. Hope that helps.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 02:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Thumbs up Re: need picture of engine specifically the timing belt

This is an excellent, very detailed post. I hope I remember it...although, I shouldn't have this problem, since the dealer just replaced mine not too long ago.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
I do these quite often, being a Chrysler technician.
So, as a Chrysler tech, do you drive the PT? To hear some people on this forum, the PT is problematic - sorta spooky to us new owners. I can only rest assured the Chrysler managed the fix most of the problem areas before I bought my O8 PT Turbo lite.

Last edited by vtmdsm27; 11 Dec 2008 at 10:08 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 12 Dec 2008, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Nity9CavSedanCRJ

I absolutely hate the one in our family. When its working right, I'll admit its a nice car for long trips. I've drove it back from Florida when we got it, and then 2 trips to Augusta, Ga and it was very comfortable.

But just wait till things start to go wrong.. Control arm bushings, Wheel bearings, the lovely headlight dimming issue, I have a random brake light coming on now I have to address.

Never ever again, will I own a Chrysler product. G'luck with yours tho.

Old 12 Dec 2008, 03:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nity9CavSedanCRJ View Post
I absolutely hate the one in our family. When its working right, I'll admit its a nice car for long trips. I've drove it back from Florida when we got it, and then 2 trips to Augusta, Ga and it was very comfortable.

But just wait till things start to go wrong.. Control arm bushings, Wheel bearings, the lovely headlight dimming issue, I have a random brake light coming on now I have to address.

Never ever again, will I own a Chrysler product. G'luck with yours tho.
Sorry to hear about your problems, but Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep is all that my family has owned (Toyota Tercel, being the only exception), and we haven't had too many expensive issues with them. I'll continue to buy from them.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 12 Dec 2008, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Nity9CavSedanCRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekypt View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems, but Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep is all that my family has owned (Toyota Tercel, being the only exception), and we haven't had too many expensive issues with them. I'll continue to buy from them.
Some like yourself have had great experiences with Chrysler products. I on the other hand, have not been as fortunate. It hasn't been an expensive vehicle to maintain since I've done all the work myself, but control arm bushings 4 times, wheel bearings at 40K miles, i've found 4 E-clips on the magnet inside the trans pan ( No idea what they even went to) to me is quite ridiculous. Oh well... life goes on.

Old 12 Dec 2008, 05:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

you know i am a big time Chevy Guy love them and always drove them from the Full sized trucks to the chevells to the S-10 trucks to the Calaviar's the PT is the first Chrysler I have ever had so if its been OK I drive a lot so what ever i drive usually ends up with over 200,000 mikes before i trade (or give it away or drive it in the demolition derby) the point is all cars will break down ands ware out im hoping the PT is a long lasting one but if not it still looks coool
Old 12 Dec 2008, 10:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm on my 3rd PT. I love the car but it does have some issues. What you have to remember is, that the PT is an inexpensive vehicle made with parts from the lowest bidder and built in Mexico. All manufacturers have the same issues. Does anybody here know who the Marathon cab company is? There is a reason they don't exsist anymore. They built such a great vehicle that nobody had to buy more. They are now out of business. Some brands are better than others but EVERYBODY has issues. That is why I tell anybody that is buying a car to get the extended warranty!!!! OEM if possible. My wife has an 02 Ford Escape that shelled out a motor at 62,000 miles. Extended warranty bought 6 grand worth of new motor and only cost us a hundred bucks!