PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

water pump replacement questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2008, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default water pump replacement questions

hey my girlfriends 03 cruiser has recently sprung a leak with the water pump, and local shops are crazy with estimates of around 1200 bucks...so my question to all of you pt enthusiasts...how difficult of a job is it to replace either the water pump or just the gasket itself?

I did a quick search but didnt really find anything but did come across the fact that it is a good time to do a timing belt...her car is just shy of 50k, any thoughts of if its a good or bad idea...rough idea on how long this job would take...Im pretty handy with engines but have NEVER worked on such a small car/motor...i put a cam and valve spring in my pickup without a problem but just wanted to know from the seasoned vets...

thanks in advance for the feedback...

Old 25 Nov 2008, 07:50 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: water pump replacement questions

take it back to the dealer, the pt has a 7 year or 70,000 mile warranty, i would think a leaking water pump should be covered under this warranty.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 10:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If the dealer thing does not work from what i have read you may as well go and replace the timing belt EVEN thought it is way early but you will be in that area so why not and also from what i have read the parts are not to bad it is the labor that kills ya
Old 25 Nov 2008, 11:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Yeah Jake,

That water pump should be covered. What's her mileage?

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 25 Nov 2008, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

she said her car is 51k so this is great news guys! thanks a lot for the info, neither her or I were aware of this...her father is reluctant of getting it fix because he thinks that 'once one thing goes, a lot of problems follow'...lol what do you guys think...is there a lot of known problems with cars...anything else I should know about...thanks alot again for the help...

Old 25 Nov 2008, 04:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

I also agree with Crusierdad...she might wanna also have that timing belt changed, since ur in the same area...

Also, here is a post about all of my repairs at 65k...might be helpful:

REPAIRS at 65k

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg

Last edited by Teekypt; 25 Nov 2008 at 04:40 pm.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 04:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If I remember correctly the warranty on my '03 was 3/36 and not 7/70. Since they are in there anyways I'd also do the timing belt. I'd also run from the dealer as they overcharge. An independent shop would be cheaper. If you have no experience and don't have the special tools needed I wouldn't touch it myself.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Nov 2008, 04:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hope all works out I hate to keep adding things but I think that if you are already that deep isn't the oil pump someplace in there as well???? If I have learned anything in life it is fix it when you are already there cause going there again will cost you more
Old 25 Nov 2008, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
If I remember correctly the warranty on my '03 was 3/36 and not 7/70. Since they are in there anyways I'd also do the timing belt. I'd also run from the dealer as they overcharge. An independent shop would be cheaper. If you have no experience and don't have the special tools needed I wouldn't touch it myself.
well i need to check on the warranty then...i would do the timing belt if i was in that deep anyways but thanks for the helps up...I will never have a stealership work on anything that i own or close friends own...even independent shops try to rape you too...as i stated before, i do have experience with working on engines, just not a trans-axle car before...what kind of special tools are needed? i dont see why a good selection of basic hand tools would do the trick, but then again this is a Chrysler product

Old 25 Nov 2008, 05:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH View Post
well i need to check on the warranty then...i would do the timing belt if i was in that deep anyways but thanks for the helps up...I will never have a stealership work on anything that i own or close friends own...even independent shops try to rape you too...as i stated before, i do have experience with working on engines, just not a trans-axle car before...what kind of special tools are needed? i dont see why a good selection of basic hand tools would do the trick, but then again this is a Chrysler product
Not sure what special tools are needed. This has come from others on the forums. You are right, Chrysler does like special tools. Go here PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. Lots of gearheads for the PT.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic