Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2003, 01:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default air conditioning

I have the 2003 Dream Cruiser and the air conditioning doesn't get very cold, it is just comfortable and it has to be running wide open.This is the first new car I have owned in a few years and I know they don"t use the same type refrigerant, but I think this car should be cooler than this. I have all the windows tinted, and I have had it in the shop, but they say nothing is wrong. I have tried all the different settings, but nothing seems to work. I would like to hear from other owners who may have this problem.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 06:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Mine is the same way...my 1989 Ford P.U. cools faster than my '03 GT. Luckily I live in Oregon where A/C is only needed about one month out of the year, if I was living in southeran Arizona though I would be considering the poor cooling a big problem. Just my 2-cents worth...
Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Get yourself a small thermometer and stick it in the vent, I allways keep one in my vent, a small radio shack digital one, I usually reads in the 50-60 degree range, at times it reads in the upper 40's. I live in Maryland, so the heat and humidity make a/c a pretty big deal. IF I remember right, most a/c systems usually lower temp by about 30-40 degrees below ambiant temp.
Tom
Old 16 Aug 2003, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got a 2001 one here. The air from the conditioner is pretty darn cold, cold enough to freeze my hand if it stay near the fan duct. I'd have the system checked out. There's a blue sticker under the hood that shows the correct pressure. On another forum, someone said that if your pressure is off or the high/low side isn't balanced, that will degrade the performance of the whole system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 10:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

On another forum, someone said that if your pressure is off or the high/low side isn't balanced, that will degrade the performance of the whole system.
TRUE!!!!!!
A big mistake is adding refrigerant blindly, YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO ADD TO AN A/C SYSTEM, if you do there is a leak. I have'nt done a/c-refrigeration work for a while, so I can't quote you exact numbers, but if the system is low, the R134 went somewhere. On the other side, if you go and get R134 and add to the system, and overcharge it the performance will suffer, and if you do it wrong, you could damage the compressor, or youself if you hook-up to the high side of the system. Take it and have it looked at by a pro, it should be cold enough to allmost chase you out of the car if you run it on high cold for a long time.
Tom
Old 17 Aug 2003, 06:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ZZCruzr

I have a black Turbo GT with dark gray leather interior. I live in North Carolina and the car sits outside during the day while I'm at work. The AC cools the car really pretty fast, even when it is like an oven in the car. Either in the owner's manual or the service manual, they talk about opening the windows, putting the vent on recycle, and cranking the AC. If you do that long enough to get most of the really hot air out of the car, the AC will cool the car quickly. If your's doesn't, I'd go to another dealer and get a second opinion. For the size of the interior, and the climate I live in, I've been very happy with the cooling.
Black Clearcoat 2003 Turbo GT w/gray leather interior...rear splash guards, stainless door sills, air bag decals, red painted brake calipers, BTG duals, AMX cold air intake, Blaine hood struts, ZZcruZr third brake light diffuser, AutoVation pedals, MoMo F16 Evo red gearshift.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I live in Atlanta, GA .... we tend to call it HOTLANTA. Summers are hot and humid and my black '02 will get cold enough that i reduce the cool setting with the heat selector knob to just let the unit cycle on and off like your home AC does. If a PT can keep it's cool in Atlanta heat and traffic I would think it would suffice in any climate. I would suggest you find a good reliable independant AC speciaist and have yours checked out.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Make sure that you have the AC set to recirculate instead of bringing in outside air. This will make a big difference in the cooling.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Aug 2003, 10:24 am
Senior Cruiser

The A/C works just fine on my GT. I have it on recirculate and its nice and cold, even cold enough for the dogs in the back. I live in South Florida average day time temperatures are now about 94 degrees everyday.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 08:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:...but I think this car should be cooler than this.
IMHO, it should. Try the various settings on the vent dial until you can feel the really cold air coming into the cabin area. This should make a difference--it did for me.