Engine swap 2001 to 2007

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By slartyblarfast
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine swap 2001 to 2007

I have a 2001 PT with a cracked head and a worn block and thinking of swapping engine out of a 2007 PT. Can it be done, or is it too much trouble?
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine swap 2001 to 2007

I know quite a bit changed in 2006, so I don't know. I suspect it'd be easier if you picked an '05 or earlier. Not so much with engine, but wiring harness, etc...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Dec 2008, 02:08 am
Young Cruiser

one concern is that the newer engine didnt use the egr valve I had this issue on a neon and we just drilled the head and added the egr but that was a 2,0 and I dont recomend this to the back yard mechanic i have some experince and the proper tools to pull this off the best thing to do is check the local salvage yard and they can tell you if the engine will fit they have a program on the computer that does exchanges
Old 28 Dec 2008, 02:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

No that swap will not work. The crankshaft sensor and tone ring where changed in 04 and are totally different. You will need an engine out of a 01-03 pt.
UptownSport likes this.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 03:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Engine swap 2001 to 2007

slartyblarfast
You seem to know a lot about these, how is the tone ring different?
And is it possible for the factory computer to be reprogrammed or modified to read it? We have an 05 engine in and 01, my dad tapped the head, absence of EGR was the other major difference. Manual Trans eliminates the electronic troubles of that portion of the swap.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 16 Feb 2014, 08:22 am
Senior Cruiser

You replied to a five year old thread and the member you were asking your question too hasn't posted on here in two years.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_cach View Post
slartyblarfast
You seem to know a lot about these, how is the tone ring different?
And is it possible for the factory computer to be reprogrammed or modified to read it? We have an 05 engine in and 01, my dad tapped the head, absence of EGR was the other major difference. Manual Trans eliminates the electronic troubles of that portion of the swap.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
The 01 is a year by itself. If the crank sensor is in a different place. You can't use it. Unless you swap the entire main harness and computer and key with sensor. Not real sure if 02 will even work. All is dependant on the crank sensor location.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Feb 2014, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow! I didn't realize it was that old haha
Wonder if he ever got it to work or just scrapped the project and went with that 4.3 swap he had contemplated in the beginning lol
There's gotta be a way... What about stand alone EM? The parts car we got the motor from came with all the wiring but no the ECM, it's automatic though so it's different