PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my door locks,head lights and tail lights don't work.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2008, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default my door locks,head lights and tail lights don't work.

Hello guys and gals,
I'm new to the PT Cruiser world.But i'm having some problems with it.Well i was on my way home the other night and i stopped at the store.i got out locked the doors with the keyless remote and when i came out it wouldn't unlock the doors so i used the key got in fired it up and went to turn the headlights on, but they quite working to and the tail lights and dash lights also. I checked all the fuse inside and under the hood.Do you guys have any ideas?oh i have brake lights and turn signals. thanks bones
Old 26 Dec 2008, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: my door locks,head lights and tail lights don't work.

bones02, welcome to the forum.

Hard to diagnose an electrical fault unless it happens to be the multi-function stalk which I don't think is your problem. How about your battery? Is it in good shape? The lights wouldn't come on but would the car start? We need as much information as possible.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome.I just put in a new battery recently and the car starts and runs fine everything else works great except the headlights,taillights,dashlights,and the door locks with or without the key fob.Also i can hear a clicking in the dash when i hit the lock button on the key fob and it still hunks the horn.but the lights don't flash.I have also been driving the car during the day cause the brake lights and turn signals work.thanks bones

Last edited by bones02; 26 Dec 2008 at 11:52 am.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think you may have 2 problems. The door locks work, and the clicking sound you hear, is from the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) located in the dash behind the two middle air vents (see picture). The other problem could very well be the Multi-function stalk, on the left side of your steering wheel that controls the headlights and the fog lights as well as the turn signals. The cheap inards of the stalk tend to burn out and leave the stalk only partially working. I don't have my PT with me at the moment as I'm up here in Virginia visiting the grandkids for the holidays but I believe there a control on the stalk that also works the control for the dash lights too, so I think it's partially burned out leaving you with the turn signals. The brake lights work on a different circuit.

Now don't just change out the RKEM and the Multi-function switch just because I said so, but it's a pretty good chance those are the two things that need replacing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks it gives me a start.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i figured it out and it wasn't the light switch,there was some wires melted under the dash and i think it happened when the klm went out.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you found the problem and hope it won't be too expensive to replace the wires. Good luck.

Old 31 Dec 2008, 09:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

what is the KLM? having same problem dealer says its my remote start system because it's aftermarket. How has everyone been doing?

Gonz
Old 31 Dec 2008, 10:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Long time GONZ.

I'm up here in Virginia visiting the grandkids so don't have access to my manual but an internet search only brought up "Kilometers" for the abbreviation of KLM.

Anything aftermarket that's tied into the electrical system and not put in/on by the dealer themselves will be blamed for any fault that comes up.

If there's an easy way to un-do the remote start and see if you still have the problem you can try that. You might try looking under the dash and maybe find something wrong like Bones02 did. The parts around the steering column come off pretty easy to give you access to a lot of wiring that you can check out.

Old 17 Feb 2009, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey there..I read Bones' problem and it is very similar to the one i'm having...but I don't have a PT cruiser...I have an 04 Intrepid and the exact same thing happened, I went somewhere got out and locked my car with the remote and then couldnt get back in, so i had to actually open the door with the key. When i finally got in, started the car, my headlights didn't come on, then i realized I heard a clicking when the i tried to lock the car with the remote. I thought it was a fuse, nope. it's weird because this happened yesterday and then last night the lights came back on and the door locks worked...But today nothing...still no headlights and I still hear the clicking.

Any thoughts that this may be a similar problem??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!