PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Pan replacement???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2008, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pan replacement???

Can anyone help me with this one...
The "5 star" dealership told me that I had to replace my oil pan because I have a slow leak from the plug area. And he also told me because I change my oil on a regular basis the threads should be worn out by now..First of all, I see no oil on the drive way. I told the service manager that and he told me it was a "seeping" leak (of which I never heard of before). I talked to several mechanic friends and they said that the oil pan is perfectly fine, I just need a crush-washer or a heli coil or a self tapper plug.
Is there any reason why I should replace my entire oil pan (which has no damage to it) to fix a leak ("seeping") with the plug? Perhaps it is because I am a female and Chrylser is looking for more of a "bail out" from its's customers. Perhaps they want another 450.00 from me
thanks
renee
2003 Dream Cruiser (#1857) 103,000 miles (70,000 over the road miles)
Old 29 Dec 2008, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pan replacement???

Stick with you mechanic's. There's a few ways (like you pointed out) to fix the drain plug hole without going for a new oil pan and if your not seeing any oil on the driveway, it's not serious.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

This is how serious Chrysler Corporation and all other manufactures feel about seepage from drain plugs and refill ports: They, the manufacturer, will not correct the issue under basic warranty at their expense as they consider it a normal concern.

Keep an eye on it, of course--lose sleep, no way.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 04:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't know if they have these where you are but------- they make a sorta drain value kit that you screw into the drain plug hole(it is plastic but i still Teflon taped mine) anyway , you attach a small clear plastic hose to it and turn the little handle and it opens up the drain keep in mine it is slower than the drain plug but i change my oil every 3-4- weeks so 12-13 times a year this is just a easier way for me.) I got mine at Oriley it will save the ware and tear on the drain plug
Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

From a dealer perspective: Any time we do a repair we have to stand behind it for a minimum or 12 months or 12K miles. There fore we are not going to band aid a problem. Overkill yes but the liability is on us. Now not knowing the circumstances it possible that you just need a new drain plug. With out seeing it I can't give a good opinion. And yes seepage, weepage etc is considered normal for ANY car company! Why did GM change from painting their engines from red to black? That way you can't see the weepage! It is only considered a leak if the fluids actually touch the ground. That is the way that ALL car companies do it!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 02:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Car repair almost always screw a woman more than a man.

Without commenting on the particulars of this situation without knowledgable input, if you do have any repair shop replace something, always INSIST on getting the old part back. This will keep from dishonest gouging .... but won't always mean it was a reasonable repair.

That said, $450???? It should be an hour job for anyone with a lift. Ridiculous, even if you factor in a new $50 oil pan gasket. It should be no more than $100 labor IMO.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 02:36 am
Regular Cruiser

From a dealership service manager perspective--if one my service writers provided an estimate like this without other options as well--I have to explain that the possible and probable damage to the faciities reputation and future profitibality just cost them their job!

Of course, that was just my shop and my way of doing things.

Womem make up more than 50% of the populatlion of the USA and that means they control a lot of $$$$$$$$, they own vehicles and they talk to each other, a lot! They even come to fourms like this and get some darned good advice.

Helicoil and self-tapping plugs are not band aids--they are very reliable and reasonable fixes to otherwise very expensive repairs. I can't not remember the number of leaking pan plugs caused by age and abuse we repaired with a simple oversized, self-tapping plug at the time of an oil change--the only cost being the cost of the new plug. Warrantied no. Customer aware-yes. Documented on repair order-yes. Stand up in court-yes.

As to our warranty practice--If it could be reasonably warratied, it was. If the repair was as you call it just a band aid--the customer was informed, the warranty was adjusted or cancelled and the customer got to make an informed decision as to the repair effort performed. The repair decision should; no must, always be in hands of the customer.

Last edited by BLUEH20; 30 Dec 2008 at 02:41 am.
Old 01 Jan 2009, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for their input! I took my PT to a local but very reputable shop ,(it has been in the same family for over 58 years). They have been doing my oil changes for the last 2 years with the high mileage Castor oil. They said the plug was fine, the threads looked good and there was no leak from the oil pan. This is the second time this dealership told me that something was wrong with my car and to find out it was nothing. I wish that I knew more about car mechanics. Perhaps I need to "rent" out a man to go with me the next time!!!
Have a Great New Year!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I too, was told my oil pan gasket needed replacing, to the tune of over $200. In fact, every person in the waiting area was led out to the shop to be told their vehicle needed additional work. In fact,the guy even called 2 other sources to try & find a cheaper price for the gasket.This happened at a dealership last time, & I didn't go there again. There is no oil leaking onto the ground & funny, but when they showed me where the "leak" was, it almost looked like someone had smeared the oil onto the area after changing it. Hmmmmm.....
Looked online though, a gasket goes for $50 at a chain parts store.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 03:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

There is no vehilce that does not need (?) some additional effort to return it to factory specifications.

That said--all vehicles run on used parts. Remember that your vehilce was driven off the assembly line--everything is used.

There should be a multipoint inspection performed on every vehicle that comes through any repair facility. The customer should be made aware of the findings and the impact of such findings on the operation and safety of that vehicle at that time.

It accomplishes several things:

Reduces the cry "you worked on my car and now...........!"

Gives the customer the satisfaction that their safety and vehilce opearation are of concern to the facility.

Allows the customer to determine what, if anything, will be accomplished at the time, at that or anorther shop and get an estimate of the cost of the effort.

It generates present and/or future revenue for some one--it may be that shop, it may not.

It, in the worst case, may save a life--think brake systems.

Last edited by BLUEH20; 13 Jan 2009 at 03:47 pm. Reason: Poor typing skills