Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Turbo Radiator Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2009, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Turbo Radiator Replacement

My original radiator in a 2003 turbo has a removable inlet neck. None of the aftermarket radiators have this feature. Without a removable neck, I cannot get the fan assembly into position. I returned the aftermarket radiator. Does anyone know if the OEM Chrysler part 5096190AA has the removable inlet neck or how to install the aftermarket radiator without removing major engine parts?
Old 03 Jan 2009, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Turbo Radiator Replacement

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure if the turbo is any different when it comes to removing/replacing the radiator but I had to take the horizontal bar off that's in front of the radiator and accessed when you take the grill off. This allows the radiator to tilt forward and gives clearance for the fan housing to fit it/take out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Jan 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old 03 Jan 2009, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply. The turbo is very different. The inlet neck at the top of the header tank is removable. Your radiator does not have this feature. The turbo intake manifold will not allow removal of the fan without this special type of radiator. Have not been able to locate an aftermarket supplier for the turbo radiator.
Old 04 Jan 2009, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's that unique, it wouldn't be worth it for an aftermarket supplier to make them since the demand would be so low. Your only alternative might be to order one directly from Chrysler.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to reinaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanks424 View Post
My original radiator in a 2003 turbo has a removable inlet neck. None of the aftermarket radiators have this feature. Without a removable neck, I cannot get the fan assembly into position. I returned the aftermarket radiator. Does anyone know if the OEM Chrysler part 5096190AA has the removable inlet neck or how to install the aftermarket radiator without removing major engine parts?
I think in this case, you need to go to the Original Manufacturer of your car to get replacement since it is a different type.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Reinaldo,

Thanks for your input but that thread is 1 1/2 years old. The top left hand corner of every thread will till you when it was posted.

Hanks424 hasn't been back to this forum since he posted that question in January of 2009.

Old 27 Sep 2011, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was reading up on replacing my radiator and it mentions disconnecting the transmission and ac lines attached to the radiator. Will I loose the freeon in my a/c system by doing this? Should I take it to the shop first and have them drain the freeon before replacing the radiator?
Old 27 Sep 2011, 11:17 am
Regular Cruiser

You will not need to drain the freon to replace the radiator. As others have said, the aftermarket radiators do not have the removable top neck and will be near impossible to install in the car. I bought a genuine chrysler radiator for my car (05 turbo), and it was over double the price of aftermarket, but it was an exact replacement and went in pretty well. There are a lot of little tight clearance places you have to fit your hand and it will pay to remove things in the way rather than try and work around them. I had the most trouble with the mounting bolt and intercooler hose clamp, both on the driver side about halfway up from the bottom. It may be possible to do the job without removing the battery, but I pulled the battery and battery tray and it gives a lot more room right where you need it for access. With the intercooler hose off, there is a gaping hole about 3" in diameter facing upward. I would tape over the hole of put a sock over it in case you drop something that could fall down into the intercooler. The transmission lines at the bottom had clamps that needed to be cut off, so get a couple of small hose clamps for reassembly. I blocked the hoses once removed as they seemed as they would drain for a long time once disconnected. The first thing out and the last thing back in is the fan, and it's one electrical connector and 4 or 5 bolts. Even with the grill and top support removed and the radiator pushed forward, it's a tight sliding fit to move the fan in and out. It goes, you just have to pick the best spot and angle to move it through. Here again, it helps a bit to have the battery and battery tray removed. (there is a small electrical wire that connects to the bottom of the tray, some sort of temperature sensor I think).
Old 27 Sep 2011, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nomad, thanks for your input.

Old 27 Sep 2011, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes those clamps are a bit difficult to get off. I replaced those clamps with the ones that you can use a flathead screwdriver as it was easier to put the hoses on and off with that type as opposed to what came with it. I think Im going to take your advice and buy the part from the dealer too. I really dont have the time to work on this right now so I need as few amount of hiccups as possible. Thanks again to everyone you guys are lifesavers.