PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough Idle, Rough @60, check engine light NEW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2009, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Dystroy
Question Rough Idle, Rough @60, check engine light NEW

I was pointed here by a friend when I posted on LJ about my worries about my car.
I hope I can get some help or ideas - Here is the deal:
2004 purple PT Cruiser - Not turbo - automaic - 46K miles

Since summer, she's started to have a rough Idle. THEN, When she rough Idled - the AC would stop running.

Then she straightened up and stopped all that, but here currently, started it back up. but WORSE!

Changed the spark plugs, checked the wires and my step-father hooked her up to the computer and nothing came up except the obvious of RPMs not being stable.

On a current NYE road trip to N.C. If we kept the speed around 60, she did NOT like that at all... would get rough and sputter. The check engine light came on....but then turned off. Then about an hour later Came on and staid on.
Rough idle has gotten bad-

Ive heard this is common amongst the P.T.s- so I am looking for help because I can't afford to take her to a shop and get ass-raped by some mechanics.
I might try to get in touch with my step dad again and see if now that the engine light is on if the computer will say "HEY FIX THIS!"

But Yeah - I'm a chick, but Ive taken good care of my girl, regular oil changes and checking of fluids I put mid-grade gas in her...ect....

- but any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2000.jpg (58.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Dystroy; 05 Jan 2009 at 10:45 am. Reason: adding milage.
Old 05 Jan 2009, 10:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle, Rough @60, check engine light NEW

How many miles? (total mileage)

When last tuned? (date/milage)

What was accomplished during the tune up?

Let's do the old stand by--SEAFOAM the throttle body and this will also help clean the combustion chanbers and associated hardwar along the way. Be prepared to repalce the spark plugs if the crud is heavy--the plugs will foul out.

The mechanic is your best friend in the shop--the anal thruster usually resides in the business office!
Old 05 Jan 2009, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Dystroy

Miles - 45K

Tune-up - I bought her used and was told she ha a tuneup before I bought her. (she had 30k when I bought her)

I just replaced the sparkplugs last month or so.
Old 05 Jan 2009, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest performance wires, stock wires are "CRAP". Don't care that they "look" good.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Jan 2009, 01:19 am
Young Cruiser

if you look in the tech section on the top there is a sticky on codes and the wonderfull cruiser needs no computer to get them.

you simply turn the key from off to run three time in a row ( off, on, off, on,off, on) and look where the odometer is and it will give you the code. they are listed in the post let us know which code comes up and we will try to help you.

I have similar issues with mine and got a egr code Iam going to replace it this week and I will let you know if it works

I am trying to pry the digital cammera out of the wifes hands to take pics along the way and will try to post with some help

I know what you mean about the mechanics and females but becarful what you say here alot of us are mechanics and some may take offense to that
Old 07 Jan 2009, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was having the same exact problem with mine (02 Limited). The idle was really rough, especially while the AC was running. Getting to 70mph was a task. When it started to sputter, I would give it more gas, and the check engine light would come on. My first thought was my injectors might be clogged since I run my gas tank dry before I fuel up. I bought some Lucas fuel injector cleaner, and some Heat (gasline antifreeze) to remove any water from the tank(its really humid down here). If it drove at 30% before, it's at about 80% now, still have more problems though. The starter went out 2 days ago, took it off, got it checked today and it's bad. Glad this car was a gift because it has given me nothing but problems. Anyway, try cleaning your injectors and see if that helps.
Old 08 Jan 2009, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest performance wires, stock wires are "CRAP". Don't care that they "look" good.
Agree. The stock wires are crap. Get good wires - like Cranes at www.RaveAndStreet.Com - also replace plugs with the wires - gap at 0.040.
That's not the only cause, but the most common one....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jan 2009, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

www.raceandstreet.com The other link possibly won't work.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jan 2009, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
www.raceandstreet.com The other link possibly won't work.
ooops!