Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Cam Shaft sensor problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2009, 09:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cam Shaft sensor problem

Hello all,
Ok the problem I had one day my wife was driving the 2005 Pt Cruiser 2.4l DOHC non turbo and it studered as she stepped on the gas, the engine light then proceeded to come on.Well we took it to our normal Mechanic, he coded it as Cam Shaft sensor being defective at 64k miles, he replaced with an remaned part and within a month and a half it came back on, we took it back to him and he replaced it believing it was defective and the code said it was intermitting. Within 4 hours the same thing happened again, anyone have any ideas to what this might be?

I am going back to him today to get a genuine part placed instead of remaned,so if this fixes it I will let you all know, I am wanting some input if this happened to anyone else, and how you may resolved it.My next step is actually taking it to the dealer.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cam Shaft sensor problem

I've heard of the problem with the Camshaft sensor going bad but a NEW part always fixed it. My own problem with the sensor was with the wiring that goes from the sensor to the computer. The wires go around back of the engine and the $.10 clip that holds it broke off letting the wires dangle too close to the spinning half shaft, which in turn burnt through the wire casing and wires thereby stopping the signal from the sensor to the computer. The PT comes to abrupt halt when that happens and I was traveling about 80mph at 11pm going through South Carolina. Long story short, mechanic at a dealer who was about to replace the sensor found the burnt wires, reattached them and I was on my way with 2 hours labor costs. Been working fine ever since and that's about 2 years ago.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Jan 2009 at 08:38 am.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 08:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the prompt response CREWZIN,

I asked my mechanic to order a genuine part and he has replaced it with that, so far I have had no problems(knocking on wood).I will look into the wireing aspect you mentioned and try and tie them up with heat protectors and get them away from all moving parts.The dealer told me always replace with genuine parts and so far it looks like it may have resolved the issue. I dont understand why a car manufacturer will place a plastic sensor on the engine block, to me its looking for problems.Well when I have other info I will post it so other can learn from my experiance, again thanks for the help.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 08:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your very welcome. There's a lot of good people on this forum ready to help out and answer questions if we can, to share the knowledge that we've learned from personal experiences and years of mechanical training not to mention all that we've seen on this and other PT Cruiser forums. There's not too much that can happen to the cruiser that hasn't popped up before. Some problems are easy and others are aren't going to be solved by just asking questions. Hands on by a trained mechanic with the right tools are often needed to solve an owners problems. Good luck, hope the new part works out.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 12 Jan 2009, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well good news so far seems like the genuine part has solved the sensor issue. Think my mechanic was frustrated with the issue, but told him please use genuine parts for me all the time, since I had to leave work early 2 days in a row to help rescue my wife.

Thanks for the help once again.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are 3 exceptions I can think of to replacing with what Chrysler put on the PT.
1) The tires -- the Goodyears are expensive, don't last, and aren't that good in water or snow - many other tires are cheaper and better.
2) Brakes - ceramic brakes last longer and don't cover wheels with black dust.
3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - the ignition wires - the stock ignition wires are bad.
Crane wires are MUCH better.
Other than that, stock parts are a good idea.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Jan 2009, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had same thing happen after about one month after replacing with new one (30 day warranty expired by a few days on first part) so I bought another and replaced. So far so good. I did not tighten screws well and had oil seeping out that popped the code. Tightened and appeared to fix. I was afraid to break the plastic. This forum has been a blessing.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 02:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Cam Shaft sensor problem

Oh my God thank you for this page. I have been having this problem and replaced the sensor with a new part from the parts store. It worked great.... for a while. Looks like I'll be checking out my wiring before I fork over more money. I didn't originally care the ole cruiser at first, but I must admit... it is growing on me. Now I can stop hating it again lol. Thanx a mil.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 01:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
There are 3 exceptions I can think of to replacing with what Chrysler put on the PT.
How about adding Late model "oil pressure sending unit or sensor"
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have had the same problem with cam sensor. god i hope the oem part thing works going to get it tomorrow, i will post results. i have heard everything from wires to pcm to timing belt ill keep my fingers crossed.