PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

RWD Conversion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2009, 12:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default RWD Conversion?

So i just got a 03 PT GT a few months ago and was looking into trying a rear wheel conversion. Has anybody done or attemped this? and what did you find out?

Thanks
Old 27 Jan 2009, 05:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: RWD Conversion?

Sure it's been done many times. All it takes is lots of cash. Chrysler even did it to a prototype a few years ago and showed it off at Cruise-the-Falls. A PT Pick-up with a Viper V10 for a power plant.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 27 Jan 2009, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

im lookin for more of a boosted 4cyl rwd, not v10. lol u know what type of combo on tranny and whatnot? or somewhere to find more about this?

Old 27 Jan 2009, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The ONLY RWD PT's that I've seen have 8 cylinder power plants. I could show you a bunch of them. Maybe someone else on the forum could point you towards a 4 banger conversion.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 27 Jan 2009, 01:46 pm
Young Cruiser

neat but can't say it would ever compare to the cobra modifies ZX3 focus...

Ford took a Cobra, chopped it to pieces and put it into a focus body... All I can say it OMFG I want one... but the $100,000 they spent doing it... Ugh... I'll have to wait till next payday... LOL

a V10 would be a blast!

Iridium plugs, K&N Typhoon intake..

Wrapped up in 16" Perelli rubber...

Viper remote start alarm system, JVC AVX-820 (7" LCD, AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth), 10" rockford fosgate with a 300w amp...

CLICKY, Jered's car domain page
Old 27 Jan 2009, 02:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jered View Post
a V10 would be a blast!
Except I'd want a panel conversion and then put the V10 in the back behind the drivers seat so I have some real weight on those rear tires. That or a Hemi back their. I've only owned one car with a Hemi and that was a '55 Chrysler (can't remember the size but I know it wasn't a 392) but it was a blast to drive.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 03:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey someone on here posted about some guy who did just that---closed in the rear of a PT and put a 5.7 hemi back there if I remember right it was his daily driver I looked but cant seem to find that post now how much of a sleeper would that be
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

What was the sites of some of the guys that did a v8 swap? im really interested in doing this

Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

don't waste your time and money...Instead of transforming a 4cyl PT to RWD, V10, V8, different suspension, transmission, brakes, wheels, tires.....etc.....Buy a used Viper
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

what you would probaly have to do is just get a tube chassie and put it togther like a drag car