PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shift kits or paddle shifters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2009, 02:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Shift kits or paddle shifters?

Hi Mopar brethren,

So as some of you may know I did a bit of performance work on my PT last summer. I'm having a good time with the new-found performance boost, but I'm also looking to maximize it.

I had an idea to see if I could add an existing wired/wire-less paddle shifter system to my PT (there are a few systems out there, one of which is this one:

Paddle Shifters, Sequential and Electronic - ASaP) ....or this one

Retrotek - Paddles 9 Bolt

...and I got those links from an online article (here: Chevy Paddle Shifters - Retro-Tek Automatic Transmission Kit - Super Chevy Magazine).

All of this got me to thinking how cool it would be to have paddle shifting on my PT? I once droe a Lexus GS 300 and it was super fun!

Anyway a number of questions came to mind...
  • Any of you know anyone who has adapted a PT Auto 4 speed for paddle shifting?
  • If not do you guys know of any shift kits out there that help firm up the shifts?
  • Or any software (hypertech programmers etc) that will let me set the shift points?
  • Wondering about a auto-stick transmission swap....anyone done this one?

This isn't the sort of thing one goes at alone....so I thought I'd check here for the first and best information from you guys!

In general my cars fun to drive factor went from about a 4 to 7 (on 10 pt scale) but I think I could get it even better if I could control that hopped up motor even more.

Does anyone know if the standard PT computer has the capability to accept inputs from the auto stick car? Or is this just a CPU flash upgrade....?

Looking for some input on this so pony up guys/girls!

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 09 Feb 2009, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shift kits or paddle shifters?

Hope you get some feedback but I haven't heard of anyone doing anything like that to a PT.
Old 09 Feb 2009, 09:21 pm
Young Cruiser

I've been away from the board for a little while. Been buried in school and work. We both need to change the shift points in our auto's. The dyno calculated 173hp for my NA if I could get the shift point just another 500rpm's higher. Let me know if you come across some ways to chaneg the shift points other than sending out the trany and having them changed that way.
Old 13 May 2009, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

HarleyRider over @ PTCrew has just figured out a nice paddle shifter solution:

Paddle Shifter Creation for Autostick PT
Old 13 May 2009, 10:51 am
Regular Cruiser

There's a guy from PTCrew who is doing this as we speak. He should be showing up here shortly. Or head over to PTCrew forum and check it out.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

Notsure if you have to login to view posts as a nonmember or not.

Brian
Old 13 May 2009, 10:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Liquid, you jumped in there just seconds before me...
Old 13 May 2009, 11:13 am
Regular Cruiser

OMG! That looks incredible! HarleyRider kicks a**!

Work on this has sort of stumbled as of late, I haven't been able to do anything for a while. I was originally planning to find a wrecked Mitsu outlander and steal the paddles/switches from that car and then figuring out a way to mount them to the steering wheel. I already knew the answer was a wireless solution but hadn't gotten far enough to buy any remote switches.

I have a friend who is an EE - he's super sharp and I'll see if he can weigh in on the schematic the other guy provided. He might also have some ideas on what components would work best.

Thanks so much for forwarding the link!

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 13 May 2009, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks THS_Cruiser03.

As you can see I have been working this idea for a year now. It's been done for a while, but I didn't like the shifter buttons I was originally using. It drives smooth and retains all the protection the autostick already has, plus so much more convenience.

I recently scored a used set of Lexus paddles and that is why this project is finally nearing completion.

LMK if you have any questions.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd63_1.jpg (10.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0103 (Small).JPG (41.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0100 (Small).JPG (42.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by harleyrider86; 13 May 2009 at 05:06 pm. Reason: typo