PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Cruiser engine makes ticking sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2009, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser engine makes ticking sound

My 2005 PT Cruiser has been making a ticking sound under the hood at startup. But only when it rains! The sound slowly disappears after 5 minutes of driving. When it's dry and/or sunny I don't have any problems at all. Other than that it runs fine...
Do I have a bad spark plug/ wire? Does anybody know?
Thanks
Old 12 Feb 2009, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser engine makes ticking sound

I was waiting to see if one of the mechanics on the forum would help you but so far nobody has showed up.

Our engines are DOHC (Dual Overhead Cam). Most noise like your describing is from the lifters, but our engines don't have any.

The only other thing I can think of that "ticks" are the injectors. Why the noise would go away and why rain would affect the sound, I don't know.

If you do a Google search on "fuel injector ticking" you see hundreds of owners of all kinds of cars asking about it.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 12 Feb 2009, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I'll do that!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The ticking noise could also be a rocker arm... probably not an issue.. just an annoying ego killing sound haha
Old 24 Jul 2009, 04:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Markwin,

I'm sorry, but glad too, to hear that someone else is having the same issue with their PT.

I have a 2005 PT Limited Turbo and I'm having the same problem that you mentioned. When it rains or is damp out, I have the same ticking noise. Even if I haven't driven since the day before.

A friend at work (part-time mechanic) told me that it could be a ignition issue. He advised taking a spray bottle and misting the engine in the dark. He claims that a bad wire, or other ignition problem, may be visible. The dampness causes an arc point. Although, I am not noticing any hesitation and I just changed plugs and wires with no change to the noise. I haven't tried his suggestion yet.

Recently, this has changed to sound more like a squeak. Once I drive it a bit, it disappears. I'm starting to suspect a belt or bears on a pulley.

Anyone having this problem also? Know of a fix?
Old 25 Jul 2009, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Mine "ticks" also, always has since new, and I have 77,000+ miles with no problems. I believe it's the injectors. I don't think valves, as I've used synthetic oil since new.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jul 2009, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, haven't posted in a while but when I saw this I decided I should mention that my 2005 GT also makes the same ticking noise under the same conditions (raining or cold out) but then goes away after some driving. To me it seems kind of weird that all the PT's mentioned in this thread with this problem are 2005's
Old 26 Jul 2009, 03:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

The first thing that came to mind for me is something to do with the ignition. Only happens when it rains or is damp, goes away after a few minutes, as after the engine warms up and the moisture evaporates away and it doesn't happen on warm, sunny days.

Does your car feel like it has a miss while your hearing the ticking?
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:53 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

"I am not noticing any hesitation and I just changed plugs and wires with no change to the noise."

I'm going to have the injectors inspected/cleaned. I'll update this post once that is done.

It may be a while unless my mechanic friend can help me out. It’s been really slow at work (tool maker for the auto industry). I have to feed the family before I can think about spending $$$ trying to fix “a tick”.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 08:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Lucas oil treatment = no tick, mine was a slight valve tap (even w/ synthetic). The lucas stuff is like honey

My 2005 is tick free for 8months