Advertisements
Air Intake Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Air Intake Kits

Hey all,

I was in Autozone today and noticed they had these Spectre Air intake parts. I thought this would be a cool mod for my pt. Its cheaper than buying an intake and its totally custom. I guess all I would have to do would just be to find what fits under the hood and go with it? Has anyone tried this? And is Spectre a reliable brand?

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Intake Kits

I did a google search to see what your talking about and I think I remember seeing them at Auto Zone or Pep Boys and they look like any other chrome intake pipe and cone filter except you buy the pieces seperately and put them together.

That kind of intake system draws in some hot air from he engine and supposedly you lose power but I have it and don't notice any difference. I keep up with 99% of the cars on the road.

Old 14 Feb 2009, 07:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought mine on ebay seemed like a well made intake, I got it installed Thursday and it was a nice change even the Wife noticed the difference!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptcai.JPG (10.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 14 Feb 2009, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

you got the Spectre Air intake from ebay? how much did you pay for your setup?
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have what will seem like a pretty dumb question now. Is the only difference between a warm air and cold air intake a hose that takes cold air from the outside? If so, then im willing to bet spectre sells the parts for a cold air intake too. If I had to choose I would go with a cold air intake.

If spectre is a decent brand, then I would think this is a really good way to save some money and sort of make my own setup

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 02:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

At the track you would notice losing power from a hot air intake. Besides, the 150 hp, 3200lb PT is already slower than mud running up hill so a little slower isn't going to be as noticeable to the butt dyno. The stock intake system is designed very well, but if you want something that looks full, race, looks pretty and gives you a new sound then go for it. For myself I'll stick with a K&N drop in filter and save a bunch of money and actually get better performance than a hot air intake. Also, if you have to have an intake then get an Airade. They at least try to keep out hot engine air.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are there any other brands that sell individual parts for intakes? I like the spectre intake, except for the fact that that the pipes are plastic chrome... Which I could deal with, given that going the spectre route would save quite a bit of money and still look and sound cool.

My Love:
Old 17 Feb 2009, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b88 View Post
you got the Spectre Air intake from ebay? how much did you pay for your setup?
The one I got from ebay was a Piranha and with shipping was $62.00 only took about 5 minutes for the install
Old 10 Mar 2009, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

So what in general does the Spectre Air intake do to your pt cruiser? Does it change the sound and more power?
Old 10 Mar 2009, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

One more question? Or there any other intake kits that are cheap and easy to install for the 07 pt cruiser?