PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 PT cruiser not firing no codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2009, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT cruiser not firing no codes

Please help, i am trying to get my daughters pt cruiser running and having problems. I have no fire at the spark plugs. She had a mechanic replace the camshaft and crankshaft sensor but still no fire. Thanks bentonggbn
Old 15 Feb 2009, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser not firing no codes

Quite sure the engine computer controls spark - that could be your problem - but that's too expensive to just try -
You do plugs and wires?
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Feb 2009, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes have new plugs and wires. I am getting no spark from the wire to the plug. No fault codes are present either. Could the ignition coil where the wires plug into be bad?

Thanks for the help
Old 16 Feb 2009, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Possible, but very unlikely. If you do get a coil - don't waste money on an aftermarket one, the stock one is actually more reliable than others.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Feb 2009, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok Thanks, Autozone said they can ohm out the coil and see if it is bad before i buy one. I'll take it off and check this weekend.

Thanks
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I tried a coil and that didnt work either. i still have no spark to the spark plugs. Can anyone help me please?
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's sounding more like what QSD suggested, the ECM (Engine Control Module). I've also read that the Crankshaft Position Sensor will also cause the same problem but I know you have replaced it. Did the mechanic trace the wires of the sensors to make sure they aren't corroded, burnt or brittle. My wires from the Camshaft sensor broke off from the engine and hung down to touch the halfshaft where they burnt right through the harness.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Mar 2009, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I have spent money on a PCM now and the car still will not start up. I am wondering could it be out of time or would I get a code to show that if it was? If it is out of time how can I tell?

Please help

Thanks,
bentonggbn
Old 26 Mar 2009, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a little searching and I found a weird fix for a problem of no spark. Apparently the coil pack electrical connection and the Throttle Position Sensor (located on the throttle body) use the same kind of connection plug and when the owner switched them it fired right up.

Now he was working on a head gasket and had a lot of stuff pulled off and that's why they were switched, when he put it all back together.

On the same problem, a Chrysler Tech had said this (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me except to check the power pak (coil)).....

make sure u have 12v on the power wire and ground pulse when trying to crank on the other wires. on the coil pack

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION 1 K17 18DB/TN IGNITION NO. 2 DRIVER 2 A142 18DG/OR AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT 3 K19 18BK/GY IGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Mar 2009, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the timing belt. If cams aren't turning, cam sensor won't trigger, and thus, no spark.