PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Ran out of gas and now won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2009, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ran out of gas and now won't start

I have a 2002 LE PT Cruiser. My husband ran out of gas in it and after putting gas back in it, it would not start. We have replaced the ASD relay and checked other fuses to make sure they were not cracked. All lights work, and the fuel pump is fine and it has a new battery. It will turn over and sound like it is "almost" going to start up but fails to do so. What can I check now??? Thanks in advance.

Denise
Old 15 Feb 2009, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ran out of gas and now won't start

When you turn the key to "on" you should hear a humming sound for a bit - that's the fuel pump.
If it died from lack of fuel, the entire gas line was sucked dry, and there's air in it - may take a while to work all the air out.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Feb 2009, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Ran out of gas and now won't start

That was my first thought.... how do you know that the fuel pump IS OK?
Common problem for those whole frequently let the tank get below 1/4 full.

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Old 16 Feb 2009, 07:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
When you turn the key to "on" you should hear a humming sound for a bit - that's the fuel pump.
If it died from lack of fuel, the entire gas line was sucked dry, and there's air in it - may take a while to work all the air out.
Yes, I do hear the fuel pump, and it sounds fine, like it always has. When he ran out of gas it was not sitting on flat ground. It was tilted in a ditch. So should I assume that this would cause an even worse air flow problem? I had it towed home and it is now on flat ground.

Any clues how to work this air out?? I have tried to start it everyday for the last week.

This whole thing is just so aggravating to say the least.

Denise
Old 16 Feb 2009, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cycle the ignition from off to run, about 3 times should bring the fuel to the injectors. The in tank fuel pumps need the fuel to cool them, so running them dry is quite often fatal...good luck....DEBO
Old 16 Feb 2009, 01:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Tell your husband to never let a fuel injected vehicle run out of gas. He may have fried the fuel pump enough for it not to work. Don't let the fuel drop below 1/4 tank very often, either.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie512 View Post
Yes, I do hear the fuel pump, and it sounds fine, like it always has. When he ran out of gas it was not sitting on flat ground. It was tilted in a ditch. So should I assume that this would cause an even worse air flow problem? I had it towed home and it is now on flat ground.

Any clues how to work this air out?? I have tried to start it everyday for the last week.

This whole thing is just so aggravating to say the least.

Denise
How much fuel did you put back in it? Maybe it was sitting at an angle in the ditch that allowed the sump to suck up more fuel than it would have sitting flat. If you only put a gallon or so in it I would try to add some more fuel and see if your luck is any better.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

UGH!! I am so screwed! I had it towed to my mechanic and he called and said that the timing belt was definitley broken. He also suspects that my valves are probably bent. BUT he will not know that for a fact until he gets in there and checks it out. So, my worse case scenario is $1450 for parts and labor, but my best is $500 so I got that going for me. So, how much is my dang divorce going to cost for my husband causing this crap in the first place?

So what are your thoughts on this?

Denise

PS All this for running out of gas!!!

Last edited by Gracie512; 18 Feb 2009 at 06:26 pm.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 07:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't dump hubby yet - no way did running out of gas cause timing belt to break - in fact, the car probably died because the belt broke, not because it ran out of gas.
There is a possibility that the valves collided. Be glad that the design of the PT engine prevents the valves from hitting the pistons...
How many miles? The timing belt should be replaced around 100,000 miles.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Feb 2009, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sooo..... Can I be so lucky to expect a cheaper outcome???? 91K miles.