Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2009, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 PT issue

My sis has a 02 PT and called me said it broke down. Thats about has much info has i got. What did i expect. Anyways, It stalled out on her driving down the interstate. Got 3 codes P0340-camshaft position senor, p0303 cylinder 3 misfire, and p0456 EVAP small leak detected. It cranks but no start, changed camshaft position senor, same thing. Her boyfriend said something about a smell the past couple days, described antifreeze smell. Check, none in there, that could be seen, just looked down neck and check resiovior. If it overheated wouldnt it of seized? Thought for sure it was cam sensor. Gonna gie battery good charge tomorrow cause its low. dunno, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT issue

You don't know how long the anti-freeze has been getting low and (excuse me ladies) most women drive the car till it dies. I know this from experience with my wife. After you charge the battery and top off anti-freeze and it still doesn't start, your going to have to get to professional service. Sounds a little like a cracked head gasket but really can't tell till it's been tested. Check the radiator (when it's cool) to see if it's cloudy. Check the dipstick for anything foreign in the oil.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, im taking the battery to AutoZone, charge it up tonight. But I was thinking the same thing you said. Gonna put some Anti-Freeze in it and go from there. I thank you greatly and will let you know what the results were later tonight. Thanks Again!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok, took battery out, which they could give you just a little more room, went to parts store and battery was fully charged. Now im thinking blown head gasket cause the starter sounds like its trying really really hard to crank engine. Did get a misfire cylinder 3 code so now im gonna pull the upper plenum off to pull that plug out see if theres any antifreeze or not. Put about half a gallon down the neck and filled resivor up. Think im heading in right direction? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Is it cranking over really fast? May want to check to make sure the timing belt didn't break, which would explain the cam sensor code (the cam wouldn't be turning if the belt broke).

The timing belt also drives the water pump, if the water pump gave out it could take out the belt also (that's how I got the neon I drive every day for $100). The lack of coolant could be an indicator of this also, our 03 PT had a leaky water pump on it this summer with only 58k on the odometer.

Hopefully your problem is something simpler, but wanted to give another direction to look into if your current efforts don't get you back on the road.