LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2009, 03:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Issues

Ok, quick rundown.

Miles: 57000
Model: 2005 Base 2.4

Issue:

For about a year now it has idled at about 550 to 500 rpm. This occurred after a cold crank in cold weather the engine light came on and it began sputtering and shaking, after about 5 minutes and hardly a quarter mile (I was going to get it home and then look at it) it stopped sputtering and shaking and drove fine, just with the reduced idle rpm.
Lately it has been sitting at about 1000k after start-up until it has warmed up and then runs about 550 rpm again.
Of course a slightly sputtery and shaky idle does occur. All this began at about 43k miles
About two weeks ago it began hopping up to about 3rd or 4th gear before reaching 40 MPH and then acting normal...relatively. shifting down occurs at about 3k to about 2200 or 2500 and then slowly climbing again.
It is not a rough shift as i dont feel a lurch from the engine other than the standard shift.

I of course am getting worried about it as I am rather upside down on the loan and dont want to get screwed into being upside down on a car that is going to be a lemon because of the trannie.

Any help?

Oh, it has not had its 60k service yet.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issues

Sounds like 2 separate problems. Engine and trans. First, you said the engine light came on. We need the code from the computer to help diagnose what's going on. Do you know who to get it? Since your talking about cold, are you throwing a can of de-icer in the tank once in awhile to get rid of water in the gasoline? If your very near your service time, depending on how long it was since the last date and mileage of service, you could have the start of some ignition problems like a bad plug or wire.

There's a sensor/control attached to the Throttle Body called the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and it could be dirty or fouled to the point of not working properly.

As far as the tranny, lots of owners have had problems with the Solenoid Pack. It can cause erratic shifting but will have to be diagnosed from a dealer or mechanic.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok, the engine light just came on that once and never came back on.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That doesn't mean the problem has gone away ....although some times you can have a problem that's only temporary. The code will still be stored in the computer. So if your still having the idle problems or the sputtering or shaking, then you want to know what the fault code is. You can do the key trick or take it to many of the auto stores such as Zuto Zone or Advance Auto and they will read the codes for you.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok, so the key trick doesnt work then on that.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure it does...I said "you can do the key trick OR take it to many of the auto shops"
Old 22 Feb 2009, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i tried that already and all it said was "done"
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I guess it was one of the "phantom" faults. Computer is supposed to set a code when light comes on.

Without a code to go by, we can only guess at what's at fault and I already gave you my guesses. What you really need is a scanner than can dig deeper into what's happening with the engine and transmission.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the advice. next month i plan on taking it for the 60k service at the dealership.

fortunately i got the 5 year 100k warranty when i bought it, so if its something with the transmission i can have it covered under the warranty.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you tried removing the negative battery cable to reset everything? I realize that may be a shot in the dark, but it is a cheap try.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar