PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Code 0340

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2009, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Code 0340

Hey there,

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser GT Turbo with ~52,000 miles. The car has been excellent until recently.

For the past week I have had an engine recurring light. After reading the posts, I learned about checking the engine code.

After doing so, I got the following code: 0340: No camshaft signal being received by the computer.

Could someone help explain what this means and how I can best go about putting my PT back into good shape?

Also, I read elsewhere that someone was experiencing engine problems where the car lurched at about 3,000 RPM. Would a camshaft problem cause this? Is this issue connected to the Turbo? Also, should this cause a whining sound?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies.

Glad I found you all here.

New PT Cruiser lover
Old 24 Feb 2009, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Code 0340

Welcome to the forum.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the Turbo or whining sound but it might cause the lurching if the sensor is going bad.

The Camshaft sensor is located on the right side of the engine and can pretty easily be changed out for a new one. The cost from the dealer is around $45.

Old 09 Mar 2009, 12:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

New poster here...I just hit 60K last week in my '05 non-turbo. 67 miles later, my check engine light came on! Engine lurching, yada, yada, yada. Took it to the local dealer and whaddya know, good old code 0340. Sensoe replaced, all is well. Even got 4 MPG better first tank after part replaced!

I have a question however, regarding the sensor that was replaced. Can it be slightly out of whack without sending the code? What I mean is that for the past year and half or so, I would occasionally smell gas in the passenger compartment. It would be there for a minute or so, usually at idle, then dissipate. Could this have been due to the CMP sensor starting to go? That plus the immediate gain in MPG.

Just wondering...thanks for all the great resources here. You guys know your PT's!
Old 09 Mar 2009, 09:05 am
Cool Cruiser

It's a magnetic pickup - that senses when the target passes at 600-6000rpm. ANything is possible, and its a very sophisticated sensor.

However I don't think it would cause a fuel smell. That sounds like a sticky injector or a vac leak.

Symptoms of a bad CPS - lurching, bucking, no power, inconsistent power.

The ECU needs to know when to fire the injectors based on cam position. With a sloppy signal the ECU would revert to a standard fuel table - which errs on the side of rich, and doesn't advance timing - which is needed for good powerful acceleration.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
With a sloppy signal the ECU would revert to a standard fuel table - which errs on the side of rich, and doesn't advance timing - which is needed for good powerful acceleration.
Well...that sounds like a possible symptom for a fuel odor to me. It's only been a week since the part was replaced...I'll keep my nose open!
Old 11 Mar 2009, 10:39 am
PLUMLUVPT

Got same problem - '05 GT with 30K n the clock.

Anyone have the part number for the camshaft sensor?

Is there an online discount parts source for Chrysler parts?

I get my GM parts at GMPartsDirect.com..... Maybe there is an equivalent....

Old 11 Mar 2009, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, Napa, all normally stock an OE replacement at a discount.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 05:15 pm
PLUMLUVPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the Turbo or whining sound but it might cause the lurching if the sensor is going bad.

The Camshaft sensor is located on the right side of the engine and can pretty easily be changed out for a new one. The cost from the dealer is around $45.

Shucks auto parts store here $58... NAPA $60.... Stealership less than those at $56..... WTF.

AutoZone $49.99...... Pays to shop around.....

The auto parts dude handed me the scan tool and said scan it yourself.... Never used one before although I have a DashHawk on my Duramax truck. Now I feel like a real mechanic - got the lowdown here first - code tool diagnosed - bought the parts - fixed it - saved $100 and time NOT dealing with a stealership thanks to this forum. *** PRICELESS ***

Stealership would install parts/laber $150.....

It's on the DRIVER'S side of the engine......

Last edited by PLUMLUVPT; 12 Mar 2009 at 08:21 am.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The auto parts dude handed me the scan tool and said scan it yourself....
Didn't even need to go that far. Turn on and off the key 3x (search for the "key dance") and the car tells you the codes the same as a scan tool via the odometer readout.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 03:46 pm
PLUMLUVPT

Wonder if any other makes show the codes with the key 3-step.

PT's seems to have a lot of weak links - Camshafter sensors - Upper motor mounts - Front wheel bearings (knock on wood).