PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

My PT Won't Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2009, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: My PT Won't Start

When I try to start my car it starts up and dies. If I try to mess with the gas pedal it still does the same thing. The first few days I was able to mess with it enough that it would start. It's now so cold that I can't get it to start at all. Anyway, it would start and die five or six times and then it wouldn't turn over at all. It has done this exact same thing a few times. The car is a 2005 and has 40k miles. I live in Kansas City. The weather is cold right now, but there are worse places. I've owned the car for 3 years and it's always started in the winter. I had a tune-up of everything, to include plugs and wires. The mechanic was a Chrysler Mechanic for 12 years and said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He said that when it won't start it should throw a code, but when hooked up to the machine no codes would show up. Once it was warmed and started it would run like a champ and they couldn't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I think it took them a while to believe me that it was even happening because every time they would get it to their shop it would start. They even left it overnight in their unheated garage and it started the next morning. The mechanic finally told me he thinks it's a computer problem telling my car it's too cold to start. I called a Chrysler Dealer and described the problem. His opinion was also that it was the computer and said it was gonna be pricey to fix.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quicksilver, I think I replied somewhere, but not sure where it went. lol 40k miles and live in Kansas City. The tune-up did involve changing plugs and wires. Former Chrysler Mechanic and mechanic and a Chrysler dealer thought it sounded like a computer problem. I could have it diagnosed, but going to have to tow to dealer, pay to diagnose, and then tow home if it is computer and too expensive to fix. My plans were to trade it as soon as I had time. Since I'm planning to trade it I hate to spend money, especially since it runs when it's above freezing outside. I bought a dip-stick heater and am going to try that tomorrow. If it works then I should be able to drive it to trade it.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What I believe the proper starting procedure in cold is - Push gas pedal to the floor once, and take foot off. Turn key to "on" and wait until the whirring of the gas pump stops, then turn key to start - foot off gas.
The days of pumping the pedal are over.
I don't see why computer would act up only when cold and not when car warms up.
Also put some "dry gas" in the tank. When you drive, how long is your commute? Short?
If dip-stick heater works, you're on the right track, and that's a good idea.
Ask dealer about adding a block heater - it was an option - I think only $45 when ordered with the car new.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quicksilver, I will try the dry heat. Is this available at an auto parts store? I work from home except 2 days a week, and the commute is only about 5 minutes. I've tried the pedal to the floor and waiting and it still doesn't work. The first few days I was able to do that a few times and get it to work, but now it won't work at all. It just dies a few times and then won't even turn over.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's "dry gas" - even Wal-Mart will have it.
When you say "it won't turn over" - won't crank? That sounds like battery is low. I'm not saying battery is bad, but with short trips, you aren't recharging the battery to make up for drain in starting.
If it happens again, and you can get someone to hook up jumper cables, see if that starts it. Of so, then your not charging battery enough in your short drive.

Winter is hard on batteries - cold reduces the chemical action in the battery, so less "juice" on startup. Also, less daylight, so lights are on more - and heater fan. Lastly, oil is thicker in cold, so starter takes more current to turn car over.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It won't jump. Already tried. I think we got it figured out though. It started today and had a check engine light on. My mechanic ran the code, which came back as computer. The dealer lied to me 2 days ago and said it wasn't covered under warranty. My local mechanic, an ex Chrysler mechanic, called the dealer himself and told them he knows it is covered. Come to find out, it is covered and we are taking it tomorrow. Yay! I'm hoping it gets fixed and that I don't have to pay anything more.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 11 Dec 2009, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope that's it.
the damn coputer controls everything, and maybe the cold enriching - in the old days was "choke" - wasn't being set by computer?
Dunno, but hope it fixes it.
Those Bastards knew it ought to be covered.....
Old 11 Dec 2009, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I'm upset because I let my car sit for a week and have been without a car, which is stressful. I plan to call the dealer and make a complaint, after the car gets fixed of course.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 01:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
What I believe the proper starting procedure in cold is - Push gas pedal to the floor once, and take foot off. Turn key to "on" and wait until the whirring of the gas pump stops, then turn key to start - foot off gas.
The days of pumping the pedal are over.
Both of my fuel injected vehicles do not ask you to push once or pump the gas at all because you will flood it. Let the computer do the work.
From the 08 PT Owners Man:

NORMAL STARTING
Normal starting of either a cold or a warm engine does
not require pumping or depressing the accelerator pedal.
Simply turn the ignition switch to the START position
and release when the engine starts. If the engine has not
started within three seconds, slightly depress the accelerator
pedal while continuing to crank. If the engine fails
to start within 15 seconds, turn the ignition switch to the
OFF position, wait 10 to 15 seconds, then repeat the
“NORMAL STARTING” procedure above.

EXTREMELY COLD WEATHER (BELOW -20°F or
-29°C)
To insure reliable starting at these temperatures, use of an
externally powered electric engine block heater (available
from your authorized dealer) is recommended.

IF THE ENGINE FAILS TO START
If the engine fails to start after you have followed the
“NORMAL STARTING” procedure, it may be flooded.
Push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and
hold it there. Crank the engine for no more than 15
seconds. This should clear any excess fuel in case the
engine is flooded. Leave the ignition key in the ON
position, release the accelerator pedal and repeat the
“NORMAL STARTING” procedure.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901

Last edited by cdynaco; 13 Dec 2009 at 01:50 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi folks - I have a 2002 automatic PT with around 93K on it, and unfortunately this morning it didn't start. Tried starting it...heard a clicking under the hood and nothing happened. Engine light came on, and all my electrical stuff within is on (air, cd player, clock) and working fine. A gentleman who was landscaping the area (condo) told me his truck did the same thing last week and he had to charge it and get a new battery.

The last time I had a battery change was two years ago come this coming February. I live in Central FL, and know I have to get a new battery every two to three years, due to living in a more humid climate (oxidation happens, boy howdy).

Think it sounds like the battery? If it's more than that, it may be time to throw in the towel. I've spent thousands on repairs on this car (transmission, radiator, belts, brakes, etc) and have wanted to get a new one for a few months now (though buying my first home took precedence). This is my only car, so it'll suck now not having transportation.