Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No start - 2001 base model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2009, 10:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Default No start - 2001 base model

Wife turned the corner yesterday, hit the gas, the car stumbled, bucked and stalled. Never to start again.

Had a P0340 (camshaft position sensor) so I RPL that sensor with no dice. Same issue. Starter turns the motor, fuel smell in the engine compartment I never noticed before, when cranking the motor sounds funny, sort of gasping.

After RPL the CPS and resetting the ECM by removing the battery for an hour and charging it - no codes on key on, but after cranking a bit the same p0340 shows up.

Is this the timing chain?

P0340 indicates no signal or bad signal from the CPS - which with a new sensor means that the camshaft isn't turning and the valves aren't moving. (at least thats my logic) - sound reasonable? OK anything else that can cause this besides a shorted or open coil, or being out of fuel or plugged fuel line?(dobtful, I smell fuel in the engine compartment when cranking. )
Old 05 Mar 2009, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No start - 2001 base model

Your logic sounds good but what year and what's your mileage? Also, follow the wiring from the CPS around back of the engine to wherever it goes. My wiring from the CPS fell off from the holder (plastic $.05 cent piece of junk) and let the wires dangle till they hit the half shaft burning through the wires. I had the same code also and they (dealer in South Carolina) were about to put in a new sensor when the mechanic found the wires burnt.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 02:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

2001 base model with 95k miles. Never been changed. I'll be checking the CPS wiring a you suggest. Any clue where it plugs in at the other side?
Old 05 Mar 2009, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, not really. I just know it runs along the back side of the engine across to the opposite side that it plugs into the engine.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2001 with 95K miles, I'd check the timing belt etc, unless you know it has been changed already.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Mar 2009, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Prb the timing belt, we have had a rash of them at dealer with around 90k on them. I've already decided I'm gonna change mine when I reach 70k.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 08:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just verified that it was indeed the timing belt by removing the inspection plug on the side of the timing belt cover, and cranking the motor. The cams are not moving.

Wife and I are contemplating what to do - still owes about what the car was worth if it were running. Great car for the past 2 years and my take is a grand now will keep it going for another 5.

I'm sure I can't do this myself - the last time I tried to replace a timing set (was a chain on that car) a 1982 camaro - indy500 edition - with the crossfire injection - It never drove again. I'm good mechanically, just never took this car down further than the plenum to do the sparkplugs. Looks like about $1000 from what I can tell, sigh.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
Just verified that it was indeed the timing belt by removing the inspection plug on the side of the timing belt cover, and cranking the motor. The cams are not moving.

Wife and I are contemplating what to do - still owes about what the car was worth if it were running. Great car for the past 2 years and my take is a grand now will keep it going for another 5.

I'm sure I can't do this myself - the last time I tried to replace a timing set (was a chain on that car) a 1982 camaro - indy500 edition - with the crossfire injection - It never drove again. I'm good mechanically, just never took this car down further than the plenum to do the sparkplugs. Looks like about $1000 from what I can tell, sigh.
Don't give up Bob, Crewzin found a place to get parts and found a good mechanic who would do it for less than $1000. Do a search and you will find that posting with the online parts store listed or maybe hw'll jump in with that info.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Mar 2009, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the Vendor section, I used RockAuto.com and bought the timing belt kit, serpentine and alternator belt, tensioner and water pump for $273 and found a local mechanic that will put them all on for $550, so really it's not much of a savings under the $1000.