Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
07 Touring - Intermittent Starting Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2009, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 07 Touring - Intermittent Starting Problem

I have an '07 Touring edition that has been exhibiting intermittent starting issues that are getting worse. The problem started around 25k miles and every 5th time you turn the key, nothing would happen. All the lights in the car would light up, but it just wouldn't turn over.

At 34k miles the problem was getting worse so I took it to the dealership under warranty. They replaced the ignition cylinder (along with other parts for other, unrelated problems). The problem was improved for about 1500 miles and then started again.. very intermittently.

On Monday, the car took over 50 attempts before it turned over. Took it to the dealership again (at 38k miles now, so you can guess the fun warranty related conversations we had). After troubleshooting, they replaced the TIPM (I think that's the acronym, computer module). The tech verified that power is getting to the starter when the key is turned. They called this afternoon and said, it's ready; we've tested it a gazillion times .. come pick it up. Great!

So I get to the dealership, grab my key from the cashier, walk outside, get in, turn the key and nothing. On the 5th try, it fires up. Turn the car off and try again and it doesn't start. I hung my head and walked back to drop my key in the overnight drop box as the dealership's service department was now closed, after making plans to drive south for the weekend (that now have to be canceled).

Anyway, the dealership techs clearly don't have any idea what is wrong. A quick google search taught me that this is not a terribly uncommon problem, but I have yet to find a solution. One person thought that it was the switch in the shifter that tells it that the car is in park.

Has anybody had this issue resolved??? Can I point the dealership in any particular direction?
Old 12 Mar 2009, 09:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 07 Touring - Intermittent Starting Problem

A quick google search taught me that this is not a terribly uncommon problem, but I have yet to find a solution

If this were a common problem with a hard to find solution that has been corrected under warranty or reportd to Chrysler via NTSB complaint, a TSB would most likely be availabe or indevelopment for the techs use.

Question-You are the original owner and know that the vehilce has never been in an accidnet or had an induced electrical issue?

Question-Do you use the tilt mechanism often? If so; when the problem exhibits-does changing the position of the tilt correct the issue?

Question-When the problem exhibits-does moving the shift lever from park to neutral or some other position and returing it to park correct the issue?

Question-Does the problem exhibit when in park only or in neutral as well?

Question-What the weather conditions when the problem exhibits.? Does the weather have any correlation to occurance?

Question-Where is your vehicle garaged? Are you located in a rust belt state?

Question-What are the road conditions you normally drive on when the filure occurs?

These types of questions should have been asked by the service advisor at the time of write up. Answers to these will help us help you.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 09:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Did a quick TSB search--came up with this one dated Mar 04 2008.

Make : CHRYSLER Model : PT CRUISER Year : 2007
Manufacturer : CHRYSLER LLC
Service Bulletin Number : 08-007-08 Date of Bulletin : MAR 04, 2008
NHTSA Item Number : 10024966
Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary :
NO ENGINE CRANK OR NO ENGINE START DUE TO ELECTRONIC LOCKUP OF THE WCM/SKREEM. *NJ

Question: Is your vhicle equipped with the secuirty key interlock system?
Old 13 Mar 2009, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEH20 View Post
If this were a common problem with a hard to find solution that has been corrected under warranty or reportd to Chrysler via NTSB complaint, a TSB would most likely be availabe or indevelopment for the techs use.
Ok. Then perhaps I should've said "There are countless posts on countless blogs about this same problem. None of them provide a solution."

Quote:
Question-You are the original owner and know that the vehilce has never been in an accidnet or had an induced electrical issue?
No, but Car Fax is clean.

Quote:
Question-Do you use the tilt mechanism often? If so; when the problem exhibits-does changing the position of the tilt correct the issue?
The steering wheel is in the same position that it's been in since we adjusted it when we first bought the car. Interesting theory though, I'll have to check that out.

Quote:
Question-When the problem exhibits-does moving the shift lever from park to neutral or some other position and returing it to park correct the issue?
Haven't tried it, so I don't know.

Quote:
Question-Does the problem exhibit when in park only or in neutral as well?
See above.

Quote:
Question-What the weather conditions when the problem exhibits.? Does the weather have any correlation to occurance?
The weather has been anywhere for the low 40s to the upper 90s when this has occurred.. Rainy and sunny. I can't find a correlation.

Quote:
Question-Where is your vehicle garaged? Are you located in a rust belt state?
Central Florida. No salty roads and 70 miles from either ocean.

Quote:
Question-What are the road conditions you normally drive on when the filure occurs?
No correlation.

Quote:
These types of questions should have been asked by the service advisor at the time of write up. Answers to these will help us help you.
Unfortunately they didn't. Thanks for your help in advance.

I am not sure if the car is equipped with the security key. Would I know by looking at the key? It has an integrated remote for the door locks.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX View Post
I am not sure if the car is equipped with the security key. Would I know by looking at the key? It has an integrated remote for the door locks.

When you hit the button for the door locks to lock, is there a flashing red dot in the center of the left side dial? That's the security, at least on the earlier models.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 11:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for getting back to us.

Your answers tend to elliminate a wiring issue in the starting circuit casued by possible movement or corrision.

The Transmission interlock switch is still in the picture--your testing of the shifter posistion when the problem occurs again will be helpful.

You might call your repair facility and ask if the TSB I provided applies to your vehilce--he can check that by looking it up on the STARscan system.

By inputing your vin--all the applicable TSB's and Recalls that apply to your VIN pop up. In my heart of hearts, I know that he/they did this when your vehicle was in the last time--but--------------?

On my 2008 Toruing Turbo the secuirty red dot is in the center of the center dash guage readout section.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's always the starter and starter solenoid in the picture. Also check battery and starter connections as well as grounds.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for everybody's help. I do not have a flashing red dot, so I can only assume that I don't have the security enabled key.

The tech traced the problem to the ignition switch. They replaced it and I received the car back on Friday. There have been no issues since then so, hopefully this is resolved.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX View Post
Thanks for everybody's help. I do not have a flashing red dot, so I can only assume that I don't have the security enabled key.

The tech traced the problem to the ignition switch. They replaced it and I received the car back on Friday. There have been no issues since then so, hopefully this is resolved.
In your first post, you said they'd replaced the ignition cylinder - did they do it a second time?
I would've suggested the switch, but since you'd said it was replaced....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles