Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car just died

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car just died

Hello. Im kind of speaking for someone else but I was wondering if anyone else had the problem of the car just dieing. I was driving and all the sudden the car just shut down. It still had electric radio and all. But it wont start. Any suggestions that you may think it is will all be helpful. I might be buying this thing for next to nothing but I don't want to dump a lot of money into it.

-C
Old 23 Mar 2009, 04:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car just died

There's lots of reasons why it could have stopped running but if it has anywhere near 90K on the odometer, the timing belt might have snapped.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

My PT did the same thing, just driving and it went dead, and nothing happened then, towed it home. This morning I went out and it started and ran for about 30 seconds and died again now it won't turn over. Can some one help?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Same thing just happened to me about 30 min ago...thank god I was in the drive way...just drove home 45 miles then out of no where the engine cut off and everything else was still on...I happen to get to crank again just for a few seconds and heard the a couple of slaps on the right hand side by the tire, then it died again...I have 109k miles on it and have been pushing off the Timing belt change cause I priced it at $1500.00 at the dealership...AutoZone has the belt for $45.00...Must be very difficult to replace to be that much of a difference...

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

bama7474, just answered your other thread on the timing belt. Hopefully that will explain why it costs so much.

By the way. To add what I told you, we tell everyone that the water pump and probably the belt tensioner should also be changed at the same time as the belt. The pump does wear out and it takes the same amount of hours to get to it as the belt.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
bama7474, just answered your other thread on the timing belt. Hopefully that will explain why it costs so much.

By the way. To add what I told you, we tell everyone that the water pump and probably the belt tensioner should also be changed at the same time as the belt. The pump does wear out and it takes the same amount of hours to get to it as the belt.
Thanks, I was just thinking about what else I should change out while I'm doing this...

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC