PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just Bought 2002 PT Cruiser - Snag list - Can you help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2009, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just Bought 2002 PT Cruiser - Snag list with updates and resolutions - Can you help?

Hi,

I just got a 2002 limited and have the following problems. I've been searching high and low and have found some information, but would appreciate any opinions on the following:

1. Engine: The engine light (?MIL) comes on before you start the engine, and I noticed that if I sat there for about 10 or so seconds, it flashes 10 times and then goes off (or steady cant quite remember). The MIL light does not light up when driving. Is this significant?

UPDATE - Possibly resolved: Thanks to Crewzin for how to get to the codes - fault code reads as 1684 - "battery disconnected within last 50 starts." Hopefully not serious then as no other codes read. UPDATE: Resolved Chrysler reset the code, no others there and none since collection tonight.

2. When pulling away from a stop, I hear a little squealing noise for 1/2 a second, and it sounds a little like a fan belt, but I know this is cambelt driven. Any idea? Car's done 50k miles by the way.

UPDATE: - Hopefully going to be resolved: Crewzin and local indy says other fan belt type belts are in the car so it's going for a "full monty" service next Friday and the belts will be seen to. UPDATE: Resolved Aux / alternator belt tightened on service and all ok now.

3. Front heated seat on driver's side flashes the fault codes on the LED's on the switch, and it's failrly clear I need to replace (or lay over the top) new heating pads. Has anyone done it? It looks easy enough, but I'm not any mechanic by any stretch.

UPDATE: - Hopefully going to be resolved:
Cost is 250 (inc. fitting). Going to get it done next Friday. UPDATE: As good as resolved Decided against it due to other things costing lots of dosh.

4. The UK model has a headlight level wheel in the centre of the dash, but it doesn't work. Anyone know which fuse it is? It's not marked on either the interior or engine compartment fuse boxes. And from there, has anyone ever troubleshooted and fixed one of these? UPDATE: Resolved D'oh! Engine needs to be running for this as they operate by vacuum from the engine.

5. Last and by no means least is the things that are really bugging me - noises.

First noise sounds a little like rain on the roof when driving. It's at the front somewhere, but I can't locate it. I loobed up the rubber seal where the top of the dash meets the window, and noticed there was a little play in it - the dash isn't anchored at the seal next to the window which I assume is normal. I pushed around the headliner and compass/light and see plenty of potential for squeaks and noises there so I'm hoping someone else has come across this.

Second noise only occurs when accellerating hard, and appears to be a metallic vibrational rapid 'chink' sound coming near to the ignition, or somewhere in that area. It sounds a bit like jangling keys, but I checked and it's not the keys! Any ideas?

UPDATE: Getting closer but no cigar - still need help! : Removed column shroud and sound appears to be slightly dampened when holding base of cruise control stalk, but at higher speeds noise is still there, so it might be a false positive so to speak holding the cruise stalk. UPDATE: Not Resolved Chrysler man said they were fairly standard PT noises and would take a good session removing the whole dash to troubleshoot, so I'm making this my next mission

Any help is much appreciated and I hope to help others out as I learn more about this beast!

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by joebongo; 01 Apr 2009 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Updates
Old 26 Mar 2009, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just Bought 2002 PT Cruiser - Snag list - Can you help?

Welcome to the forum Joe.

Engine: The flashing MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) flashing indicates a serious condition that should be diagnose and fixed ASAP. Take the Car to Auto Zone, Advance Auto or other auto shop to read the codes that are stored in the computer to help diagnose what's wrong.

Squealing Noise: You have two belts (serpentine/Alternator) that can cause squealing. The serpentine should have a tensioner that would normally stop squealing but it could be malfunctioning. The Alternator belt has to adjusted by hand.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the heated seats.

As you said, the European models have the headlight adjustment wheels. The U.S. doesn't so I don't know anything about them.

Noises: Very hard to diagnose over the internet. The "clicking" sound from near the steering wheel could be a part called the "clock spring". It's inside the steering wheel under the airbag. There's many owners here that have had it replaced under warranty.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh bollocks, hope I haven't bought a lemon! It drives fine, the above excepted.

I'll get onto a garage in the morning to book in for a code reading.

How much do you guys usually pay for a code reading?

Joe
Old 26 Mar 2009, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Joe,

It's free at those auto store.....Opps, forgot your in England. How about Halfords, they might read it for you, OR

You can try to do it yourself.

Instructions:

Sitting in the drivers seat. Turn the key ON and OFF 3 times with the last time leaving the key pointing towards the windshield.

Turning the key has to be done within 5 seconds. Do NOT start the engine, just turn the key till the instrument light come on.

So that's : ON - OFF, ON - OFF, ON.

IN the space with the odometer is (if you did it right) the code(s) should show up. Example P0070 or P0430. Write the codes down and come back here.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No dice dude. I tried it very quick, and also if I turn it one before where the dials are illuminated, only the odometer bit lights up and did it 3 times to that one instead.

I did very quick down to a more leisurely pace but still within 5 secs and nothing.

Is there any chance this car wouldn't do this as standard, and therefore it must be me not doing it right?

Joe
Old 26 Mar 2009, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Joe,

I'm not sure why it won't work for you. Maybe they just don't have that feature in the European market. Again, call Halfords or another auto store and ask if they can read the code(s) for you.

Your not around Harrogate are you. I was there for 12 years and know a great mechanic.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hehe, no but I've been a few times. I'm near London in Essex.

I'll call the local and see if I can get it read tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for your help today - much appreciated.

Joe
Old 27 Mar 2009, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got the diagnostic to work, it was my technique at fault! The code was a 1684 - battery disconnected during past 50 cycles or something, so hopefully not too bad.

I had the shroud off the steering column, and I *think* that the noise during hard acceleration was dampened by my gripping the cruise stalk at it's base, but then again I'm not 100% sure. With the shroud off, it defintely looks like it could be something in or near the wheel. I am not sure I have the skillz to go deeper into this as we're in airbag territory then, unless it's an easy job?

On the bright side, I changed the batteries in the key fobs (CR 2016's, two of them in each) and have better range on the remote side now, which is nice ;-)

I will keep updating this as I go but if anyone has other ideas on fixes, especially my noises, please do post!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Joe,

First, usually that P1684 comes along with other codes so make sure you get all of them. To clear all the codes, take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. After you clear them and there's no codes stored at all, it should read "done".

Don't know if these will help or not....

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Mar 2009 at 01:52 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks dude.

Don't know if I've got the balls to attempt that. Is there any tightening to xxNm whatever involved? I don't have tools that I can guage how tight things are with and don't want to risk ending up wrapped round a tree

Cheers,

Joe