Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My car died while on the road!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2009, 01:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default My car died while on the road!!!

It snowed pretty heave this weekend here in Liberal kansas, and I had been drving the PT. Well, last night I was on the highway, and there was a snow plow clearing part of the high way, and I was slowing down braking, and the engine died. Can I get some hints as to what might have happened? I tried starting the PT, but it just turns over and wont start.

the car is a 2001, limited, automatic, has 128500 miles.

thanks for any help I can get.

I'm not hard to please.............
..........I just like things my way
Old 29 Mar 2009, 02:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My car died while on the road!!!

Did the engine light come on when it stalled? If so, the computer set a code that will help us diagnose your problem.

If no code, it's really hard to say why it stalled and won't restart. Did the snowplow throw all kinds of snow over your cruiser? Do you have an aftermarket intake that could have sucked up any of the snow? Is it below freezing where you are so any fuel you might have picked up, that might have water in it, could freeze up and block the flow? Had that happen in a dodge I once owned. Do you thow a can of gas de-icer in the tank once in awhile?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 04:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Yup, there was a check engine light. The car is all stock. I don't use fuel de-icer, yet I will pour a techron fuel system cleaner in it every oil change. The snow plow didn't throw snow on the car, but my whole undercarriage and part of my engine compartment was full of snow. Snow got all the way up to the alternator. It was about 36 degrees when it happened. I haven't looked in to the car just yet because it's too cold, and there is lots of snow that piled up. A coworker helped me tow the car back home, and since I haven't tried restarting the engine. Is there a way to retrieve the engine codes with out a hand held OBD2 scan tool thingie?

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 29 Mar 2009 at 04:03 pm.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, here's how to retrieve the fault code stored in the computer:

Instructions:

Sitting in the drivers seat. Turn the key ON and OFF 3 times with the last time leaving the key pointing towards the windshield.

Turning the key has to be done within 5 seconds. Do NOT start the engine, just turn the key till the instrument light come on.

So that's : ON - OFF, ON - OFF, ON.

IN the space with the odometer is (if you did it right) the code(s) should show up. Example P0070 or P0430. Write the codes down and come back here.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin, I see that his PT has 128+ miles on it, I am wondering if the timing belt went just at that time!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Mar 2009, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good Possibility Ernie. I overlooked that when he posted it. Sometimes, the code for the Camshaft or Crankshaft sensor pops up when the timing belt goes so lets see what the owner can find when he gets the code.

Just had mine changed last Thursday along with the drive belts and water pump. They also found my Camshaft seal leaking so they changed that out. Since everything was off the front of the engine, all they charged me for was the seal itself.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I got codes P0340 and P1684

Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, P0340 is the Camshaft position sensor.

P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles.

The Camshaft position sensor is easy to change. It's on the right side of the engine and relatively cheap.

But first: has the timing belt been changed? Owners report the P0340 code sometimes pops up when the timing belt breaks.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 07:02 pm
Young Cruiser

I bought the car last July as my daily driver, and I have no previous records of any maintenance on the vehicle, so no I don't know if the timing belt was replaced or not.

Old 29 Mar 2009, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, You can try checking to see if the timing belt has broken or try replacing the Camshaft sensor. I've never done either myself, only read about both things countless times on this and other forums. To check the belt you need to take part of the inner passenger side inner fender off or someone said you can get under the car and see part of the belt from underneath. I believe there and upper and lower cover on the timing belt and you can see between them to see if the belt is tight, OR have it towed to a local mechanic that you trust and have it checked out.