Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0234 overboost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default P0234 overboost

Just got this code this afternoon. Wasn't hitting it hard or anything, had the wife in the car, normal right turn and ding.... CEL.

P0234 TC Engine Overboost Condition

2004 Limited (diet turbo). Only mod is a K&N airfilter and silencer donut removed. 76k miles

Recently changed oil (last weekend) - refilled with Mobil One 0w30 - slight change from the 5w30 I'd been putting in it, but since I live in FLA - I don't think the 0w vs 5w makes a big diff. Oh and have a K&N oil filter on this time - (were out of the right mobil one filter).

Also recently dropped tranny pan and refilled with ATF+4 and filter.

Also recently replaced Engine Coolant Temp sensor which somehow had gone whacky - and flushed coolant (which was Dexcool!) - with Zerex G-05.

No change in anything, kinda don't want to hit it though. From what I can gather, than this code is set:

TIP sensor indicates excessive boost pressure, and it's monitored any time the engine is on.

Hmmm no reason for the turbo to even be applying much boost, was a very part throttle turn at about 5-10mph, wasn't hitting it hard coming out of it either. I had my mother in law in the car now that I think about it lol

OK so I think the quick fix is to reset the PCM and clear the codes and see if it recurs. Then I should check my hoses and whatnot - and then see if I can get a vac gauge on that same line and find out if the TIP sensor is showing the actual amount or if the sensor is faulty.
Old 01 Apr 2009, 07:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: P0234 overboost

I didn't even have to reset the PCM. I checked all my vac lines, specifically looking at the line from the TIP to the inlet, nothing at all wrong. Unplugged and replugged TIP.

Code was gone in 2 more restarts - hasn't come back. Maybe a glitch or perhaps the connector was wonky?