PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horn/Radio Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Horn/Radio Problem

2001 PT

On occasion the lights on my radio which display the time or station cut out. The other lights stay on. Chrysler replaced the unit twice under warranty but it did not solve the problem. After trouble shooting I discovered that the problem only happens when the ignition switch is in the on position. If the lights are out & I turn the key to accessory position everything is fine.

Whacking the steering column right around the ignition switch solves the problem, for a while.

The horn stopped working a short while ago and I noticed that it coincided with the light problem on the radio. It may have been not working correctly for longer and I just didn't notice.

I suspect some kind of loose connection but can't figure out how to get at the area around the ignition switch.

Any help appreciated.

Also See Headlight Problem
Old 30 Mar 2009, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Horn/Radio Problem

There are 2 phillips screws underneath that that holds the 2 halves of the steering column housing together and it snaps.
I have read other similar posts - it might be your ignition switch itself.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Horn/Radio Problem

Agree with QSD!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 11 Apr 2009, 09:53 am
Young Cruiser

Opened up the shroud on the steering the other day and poked about. I found all the connectors clipped together, but the large one which goes to the lock had some movement to it. you can wiggle it about an 1/8th if an inch or more at the outside edges. Also thought that there was a lot of tension on the whole harness. Managed to get an infinitesimal amount of slack where the harness is suspended from it's clip then made sure all connectors were completely seated, squarely. It's really to early to tell if it's fixed for sure, but I haven't had the problem since.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope that got it. Don't know if you have or use the wheel tilt, but some found moving the wheel either cured or caused the problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2012, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i'm a tech in ny ,check my other posts for the fix with pics to this problem,15 min fix