Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt tensioner is giving me a hard time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2009, 10:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Timing belt tensioner is giving me a hard time

My timing belt was the problem in my previous post. Well, I'm ready to put the car back together, but I'm a bit tired, and I can't get the belt over the tensioner or the crankshaft sprocket. Help!!! I'm going to take a nap; I have to work in the morning. How do I get the tensioner un-tensioned? Thanks for all your help in advance.

I'm not hard to please.............
..........I just like things my way
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:29 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt tensioner is giving me a hard time

I think I read about it. It has a 6mm hex key that i'm supposed to use to get the tensioner loose. I tought it was like your regular car's bolt head that you used to get the accesorie belts on and off by. Am I right?

I'm not hard to please.............
..........I just like things my way
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you read this? Hope it helps...
Timming Belt Change Help-Getting to tensioner

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:46 am
Cool Cruiser

I sincerely hope that you don't have bent valves like I did. When the belt broke my wife was driving, it broke mid turn going perhaps 10 mph and barely accellerating. We have 3 bent valves on cylinder 1 (both exhaust, one intake, 1 each on 2 and 3 (both exhaust).

Have you done a CLT on each cylinder?
Old 30 Nov 2010, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have you read this? Hope it helps...
Timming Belt Change Help-Getting to tensioner
This is quite a helpful post because my friend is looking for a DIY of timing belt tensioner because he's still not quite good in troubleshooting and replacing stuffs and I'm also a noob too in that thing. Well, at least we found a resourceful information and thanks for sharing it.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Timing belt tensioner is giving me a hard time

I too couldn't get the belt over the 2nd generation tensioner!!!!

I read nearly every post on many sites none of which helped. I measured the diameter of the old and new tensioner and they were within 6 thousandths of each other.... so that's not the problem.

What I determind is that there is no way you can get the 2nd generation belt tensioner to retract far enough to get the belt over it.

So I removed the tensioner roller from it's bracket by loosening and removing it's pivot bolt.... and set it aside.

First, I made sure that the crankshaft was alinged with crankcase mark on the back edge of the crankshaft tooth.

Second, I made sure the right side valve cam sprocket mark was horizonal.... I did this by aligning a flexable metal ruler across the center of each valve cam sprocket bolt....

Third, I then threaded the timing belt around the crankshaft sprocket... the water pump... the timing belt pivot pulley.... and the right side valve cam sprocket.... at that point placed a small visegrip on the timing belt and right side valve cam sprocket.... this held the belt and the crank and right side valve cam from moving.

I then positioned the left side valve cam sprocket one half tooth below the right side valve cam sprocket, positioned the belt over the left side cam and reinstalled the belt tensioner roller making sure the tensioner spring was between the mounting bracket tangs. I removed the small visegrip... tensioned the tensioner as per instructions .... turned the the crankshaft two revolutions and everything align as it should.

So there is no magic way to pre-position the 2nd generation tensioner