Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P1685

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2009, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P1685

Hi. Great forum, I'm a lurker and have had a few problems with my PT I've always found a solution on this site, thanks.

I've tried to find some information on this error code (P1685) but really can't find all that much, or maybe I didn't look hard enough. I do know it's an invalid key entry but can't really find how to remedy the problem. I have a 2001 PT and have been getting the code the last few days now, little ding about a mile or so into my trip. Car is running great otherwise...

Thank you in advance and if more info is needed please ask.
Old 04 Apr 2009, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P1685

Welcome to the forum. From PT D0-It-Yourself.net:

P1685 Skim Invalid Key - The engine controller has received an invalid key from the SKIM.

I would not mess with the SKIM. The issue with the SKIM may be tied to the faulty TCM. The TCM is integrated into one module, called the PCM.

SKIM Operation

When the ignition switch is moved to the RUN position, the SKIM transmits an RF signal to the transponder in the ignition key. The SKIM then waits for a response RF signal from the transponder in the key. If the response received identifies the key as valid, the SKIM sends a “valid key” message to the PCM over the PCI bus. If the response received identifies the key as invalid or no response is received from the transponder in the ignition key, the SKIM sends an “invalid key” message to the PCM. The PCM will enable or disable engine operation based upon the status of the SKIM messages. It is important to note that the default condition in the PCM is “invalid key.” Therefore, if no response is received by the PCM, the engine will be immobilized after two (2) seconds of running.

I do not think it's the transponder key. When the faulty TCM/PCM is replaced it may very well resolve the issue with the SKIM. If the issue still exists after the installation the dealer will troubleshoot it with a DRB III scan tool.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you. So the problem is most likely the PCM? I have another question.....I've had an error code (P0551 - Power Steering Switch Failure) for about two weeks and still operating the car. (haven't had a chance to take it in) Could this have anything to do with the P1685 code?

I hope I didn't further my problem by not taking care of the first error code.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a Power Steering Fluid Pressure switch and they do go bad so that's probably your P0551 code but check or have checked your power steering fluid reservoir to make sure it's topped up.

No, I don't think that has anything to do with the PCM BUT I'm far from an expert so you might want to double check with an experienced mechanic.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin for the help.
Old 03 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Crewzin, I think the SKIM issue is what has happened to my 01 Cruiser as well. My car has been running great and I havent had any problems until today. I left my keys at work and went to leave and used a spare key I haven't tried. It started 3 times but died immediatly (2 seconds) If I come back to it tomorrow with the right key will it start?
Old 04 Apr 2012, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If it dies within 3 seconds, that's a sign that the security system didn't recognize the right code from the key. Your original key should be OK.
Old 04 Apr 2012, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you thank you thank you!!! My car started with the factory key! Your forum is a lifesaver as a mechanic bill would have finished me at the moment! I really appreciate all the info available here and apologize for the double post!

Kate
Old 29 Jul 2014, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Bumping this thread because I am having the same problem. ('02 PT) About a year ago I had to change the ignition cylinder out. I did it myself and now I use a different key. Most of the time when I go to start my car it turns on and the engine hits 1100RPM and then dies... Could this be the same issue and if so how do I fix it?