Advertisements
Check engine light just came on!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2009, 06:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Check engine light just came on!

Hello,
I have a 2002 touring DOHC 2.4 with 41k.
Last week I installed a set of livewires, Mini-VIP ignition booster (18Volts), Screem'n Demon Coil, no-gap Bosch Platinum 2 plugs, Airaide intake and Hearthrob Dual Cat Back exhaust. Everything was good from the first crank and did notice improved performance. I now drive about 70 miles each way 5 days a week on some very steep roads and push the engine hard. Yesterday my engine light came on and stays lit solid. All fluids good, temp gauge in middle and car still runs good, no performance issues noticed. How do you check fault code for engine light and what could be the possible problem causing the light to come on. I do not want to do any damage to the engine but have to drive to work? Thankx for any advice you may have.

Barry
Tel Aviv, Israel
Old 05 Apr 2009, 07:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light just came on!

Hello,
I just checked for the error code and it reads P0601 (PCM Fault). The car runs good, is it possible that the new parts I just installed caused the PCM to error? If so can you reset the PCM to turn off the engine light? What should I do??
B
Old 05 Apr 2009, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A search revealed numerous answers, and they don't look good. Here's a sample:

P0601 - PCM internal controller failure.
When monitored = ignition key on.
Set condition = internal checksum for software failed, does not match calculated value.
Possible causes = PCM (no other causes)
Test = none. The PCM is reporting internal errors and must be replaced.
By all means get a second opinion on this, perhaps through the dealer.

Basically that means that there is an interal fault in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). There have been many reported PCM failures on Chrysler/Dodge products although it is possible for this to happen on any vehicle. In Dodge/Chrysler products, a P0601 trouble code means that a serial communication failed inside the computer at least 6 times.

Symptoms
Likely, no symptoms will be discernible to the driver, other than the illuminated Check Engine Light. Typically the engine runs fine, gauges work, etc.

Causes
A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code.

Possible Solutions
With a P0601 OBD-II trouble code, the most common fix is to replace and reprogram the PCM. In a few cases the dealer may be able to reflash the PCM and get it working. But more than likely the PCM will need to be replaced and reprogrammed (we recommend you take it to a dealership for this). The good news is it *may* be covered under your emmissions warranty. So even if you're out of bumper-to-bumper warranty or powertrain warranty, check your warranty guide or dealer to see if this is covered.

Other people have reported that they cleared the code only for it to return again and again. Keep in mind that most shops can replace the PCM but not all can program it.

Pull the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. That will clear out the codes stored in the computer and turn off the engine light, unless the fault is still there and the light will come back on.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Apr 2009 at 08:09 am.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thankx for the info!
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome.
Never heard of "Mini-VIP ignition booster (18Volts)". I have heard of the Creamin' Deamon coil - there are more problems with them than stock coils. The rest of your mods are right on.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jul 2009, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Has anyone bought a refurbished pcm off ebay and did it work..I've heard some people say don't do it.

Thanks in advance
Bob
Old 22 Jul 2009, 04:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

^I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be ok.. but I COULD be wrong.

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 07:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrior View Post
Has anyone bought a refurbished pcm off ebay and did it work..I've heard some people say don't do it.

Thanks in advance
Bob
I had a possible PCM issue with a Ford EXPLODER once and I got new one off ebay but was told it still needed to be flashed by the dealer to work with my truck. Problem turned out to be a very common defect with 2002 and up Exploders....snapped ground wire in driver door to dash area

66CUDA
Old 23 Jul 2009, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I may be wrong, but I think a PCM has to have VIN# put in - I know that's true for Stage 1.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jul 2009, 10:50 am
Cool Cruiser

^huh? a vin has to be put in in order for a pcm to work??? How does that make sense?

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Closed Thread