Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Honestly - what is your mpg???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2001, 02:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Honestly - what is your mpg???

I have almost 15K on the Queen 28G, Inferno Red. Here is my problem.
I have NEVER had good gas mileage. My first 5K = 13 mpg; told to hang in there, it would get better.

My next 5K = 15 mpg, sometimes. Put on the diagnostic computer, all checks out OK. Have the correct PSI, correct octane, don't have a heavy foot and never high rpms unless getting on the freeway, etc., have a K&N filter, dualies, driving city/freeway, rarely with the AC. The TSB pertaining to low mileage is not applicable due to build date.

My recent 5K = faulty fuel sensor replaced, small fuel leak due to this procedure is resolved; getting MAX 17 mpg. The dealership tells me that anyone getting better mileage with an automatic is lying.
I would very much appreciate hearing from other people with this problem, and from people who are getting the mileage posted on the window sticker. Mine says 20/25, and I have never gotten close to 20. I plan to print your replies and present it to them, not sure what can be done, but SOMEthing ain't right here.

I will read the posts on the air induction systems - perhaps that would help???

Cruisin' with the Queen since 11/09/00
Old 08 Sep 2001, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a '01 Limited w/automatic and NO modifications. I get 20 to 25 mpg always! I don't even check it anymore as it seems to be OK for me! I have about 3,700 miles on the odometer.

Wish I were smart enough to tell you what to do. Hang in there? Heck no!

Brad

Old 08 Sep 2001, 01:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I Have 2002 Automatic 1500 Miles Was Getting 17 To 18 mpg Mixed Driving I Put A Bassini Single Exhaust System. Jumped To 21 mpg On My First Tank I Have A Lead Foot So You Must Have A Problem

Old 08 Sep 2001, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PTKRUZN - there must be a problem somewhere. I don't have a K&N filter...yet. You should not have to add all kinds of mods to get better gas mileage. My next idea would be PSI, but you say that is correct. Since your mpg are running so low, I don't think this would be the problem either--it's best to fill up at the same pump as last fillup when checking mileage. All pumps are different. In Oklahoma there is an inspection sticker. On that inspection sticker there will be a number something like 'plus' 5 or -3, etc. (I always try to pick a station that runs a 'plus' because supposedly you are getting a little more fuel.) When I first got my PT, my mileage was averaging 17-20. After 7,000 miles she averaged 20-25 and is still getting that. There are a few tanks where I have gotten 28-30 (must have been all down hill)lol I have 12,000 miles on her now. Another thought, is your tank registering full when you fill up? Some people are having problems with that. I think there is a TSB on this. Maybe someone with more technical "know-how" can help. BTW, I do have a lead foot. Good luck.

Edited by - ylekyot on 09/08/2001 14:13:26
Old 08 Sep 2001, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was getting 17-19 last Sept. when I bought the car. Now I'm coming up to 24,000 and the gas milage is anywhere between 20 and 23mpg, so my guess too, is that you have a problem. Only modification is an air-induction unit plus I switched to synthetic oil from the first oil change to present. I change the oil and filter every 3000.

CREWZIN
Old 21 Sep 2001, 10:00 am
Young Cruiser

I have a 2001 Limited with Automatic transmission. I've kept a record of every drop of gasoline purchased and every mile driven. After 7,800 miles I've averaged just slightly over 21 MPG. I've seen as high as 25 MPG on road trips and as low as 16 MPH in stop and go city driving. If you are getting such low mileage, something is wrong with your car or you are an urban drag racer!

Puck

Old 21 Sep 2001, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if this is an anomoly, but by mistake one day I pressed the wrong button and filled the tank with 92 octane. My gas mileage plummented to 13 mpg. I have been averaging about 18 with a 2002, 5 speed with only 1,500 miles.

Old 22 Sep 2001, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have had the Queen on the diagnostic computer three separate times....all indicating no problems. I did have the fuel sensor replaced, as the needle never did go all the way up, but I've recorded every tank of gas and have been calculating mileage from based on that, never do let the tank get very low.

Here are the results of a random poll at PTE, 167 people responded.

Under 15 mpg........0
15-18 mpg...........13%
19-21 mpg...........33.5%
22-25 mpg...........44.9%
15+ mpg.............8.3%

I have never NEVER got in the 20s, and it looks like I'm definitely a minority but, not alone down there!!!

Old 24 Sep 2001, 11:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You guys are in heaven compared to me!

Do the math on this one...

I struggle to get 145 miles ... PER FULL TANK! Imagine that!
I do drive 90% city, but what does the sticker mark say
for city driving... 20?

I have about 15,500 miles on (has always been the same), was built before August 2000, but dealer says nothing is wrong and I do have
a fuel guage with its own mind! It reads full whenever it wants.

I've tried to improve this issue many times but have actually giving up on that myth.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Edited by - chino on 09/24/2001 22:55:17

Edited by - chino on 09/24/2001 22:56:35
Old 25 Sep 2001, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chino,
There is a TSB regarding a faulty fuel sensor/gauge, and although this does NOTHING to improve the mpg, it is a warranty job. Sometimes when I knew the tank was full, it would register empty the next morning, and when Cruising with other Cruisers, my fuel gauge would register 1/2 tank used when everyone else's read a slight nudge below full. So if your gauge is inaccurate, how do you really know how much fuel you really used??
I was hopeful that in some way, repairing the gauge (and locatiing a small miniscule gas leak) would improve my mpg; no such luck. I still average 16-17. Sucks.