PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2009, 06:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Coolant Problem

I have what I would consider to be a problem with my coolant. First off, I have an 02 Touring Edition PT. I check my fluid levels religiously and have been noticing a slow decrease of fluid in the coolant reservoir for about 2 months now. I have had to fill the coolant back to the desired level 3 times. The strange thing is that I have not noticed any leakage at all. Where is the coolant going? Anyone have similar experience or solutions? Any advice is appreciated.

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant Problem

Mine was dissappearing because of a leak through the head gasket or crack between the cylinder and the water jacket... I speculate. It is at the mechanic's having the head pulled so that we know for sure. I bought Steelseal and it cured the exhaust to water problem but I also had an increasing leak between cylinder and the outside. I can hear it and the power loss is way bad. I get misfire codes in one or 2 cylinders 30x I think.

We will see what the diagnosis is for sure but I enjoy trying to figure things out based on any shred of evidence I can get.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you had the PT since new? I ask because because I learned if you fill the overflow bottle to the top mark while it's cold, it'll push the coolant out. It should only be at the top mark when it's hot, at the low mark when cold.

Assuming you know that, does the PT run well otherwise? Temp gauge okay?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2009, 08:11 pm
Young Cruiser

My response way way out there. I wasn't thinking about the op, sorry.

Look for the obvious, water on the ground, smell of anti-freeze, hissing sounds or steam from the radiator core or hoses, etc.

I also had a radiator hose left "cocked off" and not properly clamped. If that seal can not hold more than the pressure rating on your cap it may spell trouble.

A cheap shotgin approach is to replace the cap, check your overflow hose for leaks, and even verify that your fan works on both speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have you had the PT since new? I ask because because I learned if you fill the overflow bottle to the top mark while it's cold, it'll push the coolant out. It should only be at the top mark when it's hot, at the low mark when cold.

Old 08 Apr 2009, 08:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post

I have not had the PT since new. Bought it used with about 70,000 miles on it. Currently almost to 84,000. I always fill it up appropriately, so there must be a leak. The car runs great other than noisy/lousy brakes, but obviously doesnt have anything to do with the problem. The temp gauge is fine, runs at a good temp.

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 09 Apr 2009, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are the hoses spongy?
Is the oil clear? (thinking head gasket).
Some leaks are only when under pressure.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Stop at any decent shop with a mechanic ans ask for a radiator pressure test. It only takes a couple minutes. They apply pressure to the top of the radiator where the cap is and will force any tiny leaks to show up in the radiator or hoses.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it can very likely be a head gasket. Get a local mechanic to do a pressure test but even that might not show whats wrong. You may need to take it apart to know for sure.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Mine has the same disappearing coolant issue. 01 Limited. Engine runs fine. No sweet smell from the exhaust. No drips under the car. Temp gauge fluctuates between horizontal and just below. I top up the reservoir with a litre or two every three or four months.

Any one know if the radiator or hoses on PTs die prematurely, or how long one should expect them to last?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

If its burning coolant you might be able to smell it in the exhaust. If so - head gasket.

Quote:
Currently almost to 84,000.
You are approaching the limit of the original timing belt. Just so ya know. TIming belt failures suck bad.