Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark Plugs & wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2009, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark Plugs & wires

I have a 2002 PT with just over 19000 miles on it, driven once or twice a week in CA, kept in garage. A friend and expert mechanic tells me I should change the plugs and plug wires because the car is 7 years old and not just because of the low mileage. He recommended an NGK 2314 plug and some special hi-energy wires. He was concerned that not changing the plugs would make them sieze and be difficult to remove. any thoughts?
Old 07 Apr 2009, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark Plugs & wires

Welcome.
Agree with your friend.
The stock wires are lousy, and mine started to give me a miss before 20,000 miles.
You may indeed have trouble getting the original plugs and wires out.
Gap at 0.040, put a dab of anti-seize on the threads of each plug, and dielectric grease on the wire boots (both ends).

follow this:
Spark Plug Guide

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2009, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not very knowledgable about things mechanical. Should I just take it to the local dealer or would a good independent mechanic be better? About what should I expect to pay for the plugs and wires?
Old 07 Apr 2009, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ask around and go to a mechanic - how about your friend?
Wires are $60-75 (depending on brand can be more) plugs a few bucks apiece. Tubes of anti-seize and dielectric grease are only a few dollars.
Takes a couple hours to do.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I believe there was a thread somewhere here on how to change your plugs.It had a step by step guide with pictures.I changed mine today in about 30 minutes,most of the work is unbolting stuff just to get to them.You're gonna need a extension thats somewhat long to get down to the plugs.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhale09 View Post
I believe there was a thread somewhere here on how to change your plugs.It had a step by step guide with pictures.I changed mine today in about 30 minutes,most of the work is unbolting stuff just to get to them.You're gonna need a extension thats somewhat long to get down to the plugs.
In my first post above the "sprk plug guide" is a link that points to the guide.