Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Loss of power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Loss of power

Step daughter's 05 Turbo PT convertible. Says car makes a loud whining sound on acceleration and has a loss of power. No CEL. Mileage nearly 60k.

Any suggestions before I take a look see? I have yet to see/her the issue yet so her interpretation may be different than mine, I'll have to see tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Loss of power

Welcome.
Suspect a boost leak. Follow the hoses to/from the intercooler and be sure they are on tight.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Apr 2009, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I just checked out the car and nothing at all like she described. Power is fantastic, car idles fine but there is a weird click from the engine bay after the turbo kicks in. Sounds almost like automatic doors locks being locked. I punched the car a few times and drove it aggressive off the line and it did not make that sound. Seems at moderate speeds I here the light "click", it's very distinct sound and only once. Like something is stuck and then closing into place? Ideas? It certainly was not there last week.

Last edited by slcpunk; 08 Apr 2009 at 01:15 pm.
Old 09 Apr 2009, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have defrost or A/C on? The A/C compressor clutch make a click...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Apr 2009, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Interesting, I'll have to take it for a spin and see if that was it. I am pretty sure I had it off however as I asked her if the AC was on when the noise was made. I thought I was paranoid about car noises, this girl has me beat by a mile! Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 04:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm quite sure now that you mention the power door lock sound - that that was the A/C clutch. Its a dead ringer, at least on my own and my wifes PT's.

Other noises you'll notice (quite common ones at least) - fuel injectors are a ticking regular metallic sound, on older models with worn lash adjustors - a tapping almost fingernail sound, with airbox modded turbos - a woosh when you hit the gas, and even without an aftermarket BOV - you can hear the stock click and woosh when you let off the gas. With bad suspension bushings there is a cracking or thunking as you turn or hit bumps or stop. A bad wheel bearing sounds almost like worn brakes - a slightly metallic rotating machine sound as the wheel moves.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
Interesting, I'll have to take it for a spin and see if that was it. I am pretty sure I had it off however as I asked her if the AC was on when the noise was made. I thought I was paranoid about car noises, this girl has me beat by a mile! Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.
Defrost turns on the A/C also.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 01:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Defrost turns on the A/C also.
I've read this after a few searches, thanks for the heads up though. So, does this mean it's a faulty clutch? Or just a quirk of the car and should not be addressed?
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't think clutch is faulty - whenever A/C "cycles", the clutch clicks.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help.