Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine overheating, Stuck in "Limp mode" showing codes 0188,1490,&1495

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2009, 04:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine overheating, Stuck in "Limp mode" showing codes 0188,1490,&1495

So our familys pt cruiser is overheating & we are on our second motor since my mom did not pay attention & let it get too hot a while back.. After the motor replacement it was fine for a long time, I believe the overheating started again shortly after my mom jumped the battery terminals backwards when jumping the pt.. Now, The fan does not come on at all even if it is almost to the red unless I jump 30 & 87 in the relay socket to give it direct power.. I have jumped 30 & 87 on both the high & low speeds & only the high seems to work.. Do both the low & high speeds work with the Key On Engine Off?

So far I have ruled out the relays & fuses for the fan not working. I have also filled & bleed the cooling system.. As well as tested the resistance of the ECT & supply voltage to the ECT from the wireing harness & both were in spec.. The car does not overheat if we drive atleast 30-35 MHP which tells me this is a Air flow issue & not a watter flow issue since it overheats only while sitting.. Thermostat is good since both the upper & lower radiator hoses are hot.. watter pump is good since it is obviously flowing..

But now just recently the car is in "Limp mode" & does not shift at all, It is unable to go ever 45mph before hitting the rev limiter at about 4k rpm which is the park/neutral positions rev limit. The fluid is ok & the filter is pretty new. What causes the limp mode?

I am guessing the 0118 code is because I unplugged the ect connector while running.. I am also guessing that the 1495 (LDP Solinoid circut) may have been when I created a vaccum leak to plug in my vaccum gauge, Or gassed up while running..

I have disconnected the battery & all codes still come back.. PLEASE HELP!
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine overheating, Stuck in "Limp mode" showing codes 0188,1490,&1495

Welcome.
Seems like 2 problems. 1 is the fan - you can lose only one speed, and that means a fan replacement.
The other is the tranny - no codes on that?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Engine overheating, Stuck in "Limp mode" showing codes 0188,1490,&1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome.
Seems like 2 problems. 1 is the fan - you can lose only one speed, and that means a fan replacement.
The other is the tranny - no codes on that?
No there were no tranny codes, The way I pulled the codes is the turn the key on 3 times method & those were all that showed up..

Shouldnt the high speed still kick on & stop it from hitting the red on the temp gauge? since it works when jumped..
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Shouldnt the high speed still kick on & stop it from hitting the red on the temp gauge? since it works when jumped..
Don't know. The standard test for the fan is to start the car, turn on A/C - the engine fan should always come on - if it doesn't, you need a fan.
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P1490 (M) Low Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit of the low-speed radiator fan control relay.

P1495 (M) - Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) solenoid circuit.

P0188 Fuel Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage

The "limp" mode comes on when there's a situation pertaining to the engine that doesn't want you to go full power. Just enough to get to a garage or dealer to find out what's wrong. Don't push it.

The fan problem may be just as simple as the relay in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

The worst thing you did was disconnect the computer while running.

Best thing to do is find someone with a scanner to find out exactly what all the problems are and especially why it went into "limp" mode.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.