Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with my 2000 (or 2001...) Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2009, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with my 2000 (or 2001...) Cruiser

Hey, I'm new here first off. I was looking through the FAQs and the repair manual for the 01 you guys have listed and I'm not too sure about this, but I think I may have a problem with my transmission, I just need other input.

Here's the problem:

Lately (as in the past couple of weeks) when I started the car, it starts a little slower (after we just got it out of the shop, mind you, for this exact reason... something to do with the battery and/or carriage wires) and when I put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot, it tries to choke out or something, as if it's trying to die. Then, when I put it in drive and go, it runs a little slower and shifts kind of weird. I hope to God it's not the complete transmission -- we've more-or-less just spent approx. 3 grand on this car. I'm a college student and I can't keep affording this kind of problem, obviously.

Anyway, any help or guidance would be extremely appreciated.
Old 09 Apr 2009, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help with my 2000 (or 2001...) Cruiser

Also, I'm not getting any Error Codes.
Old 09 Apr 2009, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, what kind of mileage are we talking about and has the transaxle ever been flushed? The tranny is a weak link and it needs to be taken care of. There's also a Clutch Pac associated with the transaxle which has been known to go out and cause problems.

Someone else has problems almost related to you but there's is dying in drive and revers is OK. Here's the link...

Engine dies when put in drive not in reverse

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 01:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, I forgot to specify.

It's got approximately 95,000 miles on it. We just recently replaced the Timing Belt as well.

As far as I know, the Transaxle has never been flushed. And I hate to sound like an idiot (which is fine because I am) but what's a Clutch Pac?

I read that one and it did give me a few ideas. I also read a thread from a while back about how maybe the injectors or intake is dirty or clogged (or maybe that's what you're talking about when you reference the Transaxle) or something about it being a Transmission Intake Seal or something... which I hope it's not the Transmission, because at this point if it is it would be cheaper for me to buy a new (or used, rather) vehicle instead of getting that replaced...

Thanks for what help you could give me though, Crewzin.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From Google search:
Some cars use a multiple-disc clutch operation. In this setup, a series of friction discs are placed between steel plates. The clutch also has a piston and return springs. This whole assembly is known as a clutch pack. When fluid pressure is applied to the clutch pack, the piston engages, locking the assembly together and driving the wheels. When pressure releases (for instance, the engine goes to idle), the piston disengages and the wheels stop turning.

The "pack", if that's the problem can be changed relatively easy by a trained mechanic.

If you've never had the trans flushed, and you've owned the PT for a long time and don't think it's ever been done, that could very well be your problem. It should be flushed or at least have the pan dropped and refilled every 30-50K.

The injectors can also be a problem at your mileage if you've never had them professionally cleaned and haven't been running some intake cleaner thru the system every once in awhile.

The first thing I would do is take it back to where you just had the work done and see if they can help diagnose your stalling and sluggish performance.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.