Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cooling Fan died

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2009, 07:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Cooling Fan died

My PT started overheating when driving at slow speeds or in traffic. Tepm is fine at highway speeds. I don't hear the fan kick on & off anymore & it's not spinning when I put it in park to get out & look at it.
What is the easiest way to get to this to replace it? Do I need to remove the lower portion of the intake to bring out out the top? Doesn't look like enough room to pull it from the bottom.
Old 09 Apr 2009, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling Fan died

Intake, no. Upper brace, yes. Crewzin replaced his fan, he'll give you the tips.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK. The fan motor and housing come out from the top. First, get under the car and disconnect the one wire harness that's connected to the fan motor. Now the top section that holds the top of the radiator comes off along with the front grill. The top radiator hose comes off the radiator because the radiator has to lean forward to make enough room for the fan housing to lift up and out. There's horizontal brace across the middle of the radiator, it has to come out. Now the 6 or 8 (I forget) small bolts around the fan housing have to come off and then you lift the fan/housing up and out while pulling on the top of the radiator so it tilts forward giving enough room for the fan/housing.

I had an aftermarket air intake on at the time so I didn't mess around with the stock air intake so I'm not sure if that has to be moved or not.

Old 10 Apr 2009, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just wanted to throw my two cents worth in. I replaced the fan motor on my wife's '03 GT yesterday. I didn't have to remove the intake, but did have to remove one side of the lower radiator brace as well as removing the upper core support. On the lower brace you don't have to remove the lower bolt on each side as the brace is slotted in a slight nod to the poor soul that has to put it back in. Also, the fan motor for turbo equipped cars is completely different from non-turbo models. Found that out the hard way.

On the same topic, can anyone tell me where the fan modules are located on an '03 GT? I still have the same problem after replacing the fan motor and it's going to be A/C weather before to long.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 10:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks everyone!
BTW Crewzin, I love the red highlights painted on your intake. It just gave me a couple of ideas for mine.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 06:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The red highlights are done with a paint pen. You can buy them at Wal*Mart in a single pack or in 3's.

Old 11 Apr 2009, 07:35 am
Young Cruiser

Man your engine sure is clean! I was thinking of doing Blue or Silver highlights on mine. Cool deal I know just where to get those pens. I used to do a lot of models when I was a kid.

Last edited by JoeHundredAire; 11 Apr 2009 at 07:37 am.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I used to go to a lot of car shows. Maybe 3 to 5 shows a month. Each time the PT (or Vette) would get cleaned up from top to bottom. Although I don't do too many shows anymore, I'm still in the habit of keeping the cars exceptionally clean.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 11:06 am
Young Cruiser

Got the top brace & the grill off, Which side is the fan plugged in? I didn't see the wires running to it? I didn't see it from the top or from underneath the car. Maybe I'm just missing the obvious....
Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's only one set of wires coming from the motor itself. It runs down the drivers /left side of the fan housing. Push thr red locking tab all the way to the right to pull apart the connection.