PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alternative way to reset the check engine light?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2009, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Alternative way to reset the check engine light?

Hello,

Recently I had a p0135 code thrown (front 02 sensor). I purchased a new 02 sensor from napa and did a reset via negative battery cable but the check engine light keeps coming back.

I live in a state where the yearly state inspection is mandatory and the service shop next door just told me that I'm not going to pass if I have an check engine light on even if a new part solved the problem. They've been telling me that the only way to reset the code is to do it at the dealer's, not by disconnecting the battery.

I have two questions:
1. Is there any other way to reset the light that I could do or the negative battery cable is the standard?

2. Is there anything else that might be causing the the p0135 if not the front 02 sensor?

Eagerly awaiting your recommendations...

Thanks!
Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Alternative way to reset the check engine light?

There's only two ways that I know of to clear the code: Take the negative battery cable off for a few minutes and with a scanner from the dealer or mechanic.

Here's what I found about your code:

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0135

Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Not Functioning

Features of the Circuit

* This circuit utilizes heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) for controlling fuel and post catalyst supervising.
* All the HO2S present here match the oxygen percentage of the atmospheric air with the oxygen content present in the exhaust stream.
* In order to supply flawless voltage signal, the HO2S should gain the requisite operating temperature.
* The time needed for the sensor to reach the operating temperature is reduced by a heating element inside the HO2S.
* The ignition 1 voltage circuit provides voltage to the heater through a fuse.
* Ground is provided to the heater by the HO2S heater low control circuit if the engine is ON, through a low side driver within the ECM.
* The ECM regulates the flow of current through the heater for the convenience of diagnosis.
* If there is any discrepancy regarding the mentioned parameters in the HO2S heater current identified by the ECM then DTC P0135 is boosted immediately.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Alternative way to reset the check engine light?

It's been my experience that sensors that have failed or are providing out of range values clear the check engine light almost immediately on restart. Happened this way with P0340 (cam sensor), P1136 (air intake temp sensor), P1116 (Engine Coolant Temp sensor unstable).

Granted I haven't run into a bad O2 sensor yet, but I wonder if yours is still on because the problem may not have been the actual sensor.

Removing the negative cable from the battery clears the codes. Using a scantool can also clear the codes.

Do that and see if the CEL is still illuminated. That will tell you if the cpu is displaying an older code, or a current condition.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Alternative way to reset the check engine light?

Thanks!
This does make sense since I am experiencing problems at lower engine temperatures after cold starts. Basically engine starts to shudder during acceleration at around 3000 Rpm. This problem goes away after the engine reaches the operating temperature. I guess this points to the problem that the front 02 sensor might not be operating well after cold start because "it's heater" is not working.

Could this be just a blown fuse? Any idea where to locate the front O2 sensor heating fuse?

Or is this a failure of the "heating circuit"? Not sure if I can do anything about that?

Thanks again. Please do comment on the above if you have useful info...