Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Terrible missfire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2009, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Terrible missfire?

I have a 03' N/A automatic PT with 60,000 miles and it started missing right after I changed the plugs(Autolite AP5263's).So I took em back out and checked all the gaps and then replaced the wires with magstar 8.5mm wires & it still missed so I changed coil and still misses terribly,makes the whole car shake.I plugged it in to the OBDII scanner at work and it said cylinder 3 missfire.What else could it be?Maybe bad injector?
Old 12 Apr 2009, 07:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Terrible missfire?

You could have swapped around wires to the wrong cylinders but not likely. Do take a wire off of No#3 and swap it with No#2 to see if the code changes. You can do that with the spark plugs if it doesn't change to see if that makes a difference. The next thing is a compression check to see if a head gasket has problems.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did the wires one at a time so theres no way I managed that,plus the factory coil has the cylinders numbered on it and the OBD would've picked up a misfire in cylinder 2 too.Its only getting a misfire on cylinder 3,so I don't think a headgasket would be the culprit of that..So what else could it be besides a bad injector?
Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

According to the searches I did, a leaking headgasket can be the culprit in just one cylinder but to answer your question, yes it can also be a bad injector.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is strange that you never had that trouble until you changed plugs. So then you replaced a whole bunch of parts and still have the same problem. Seems like you have a bad plug. I would suggest that you change the plugs around!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Apr 2009, 02:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Seems like you have a bad plug. I would suggest that you change the plugs around!!!
I agree, I would try swapping the plugs around & see if there is any change. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a brand new plug being bad.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 02:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hmmmmm. Didn't I suggest that in my first reply? I guess Hooligan stated it a better way.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 03:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Since, you had to remove the intake to change plugs did you get a good seal when you put it back? I had a misfire code come up on my 03 turbo and it was a leaking intake gasket between the lower manifold and head on the offending cylinder.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all your guy's help.I'll try the plug tomorow..And I made sure I didnt have a leaking intake to answer your question.I sprayed starter fluid around the seal on all the cylinders(I know its not the best thing for it but I was desperate lol)