Pray to the golden gods 0 0%
Take out a bank loan 0 0%
Drive it into a tree 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2009, 12:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default my turbo is SCREAMING at me

So, how has everyone been? I hope you have been well and not beset by the many issues that have come to plague my poor PT.

Yesterday I went to merge onto the highway and i have to say that i may have pushed the gas pretty hard, anyway the engine performs well quickly bringing me to the required 65mph. However as I close in the turbo noise gets louder, Its the hardest I have ever really pushed my car so I kind of enjoy the extra noise, sounds powerful and manly.

Anyway, I sort of "hear" might have felt, a POP and now I appear to be F.U.B.A.R. (periods added for emphasis).

Well, my RPMs go down and I am just cruising around 1500 and ya know that "manly" turbo whine? Its still there. It raises and lowers with my RPMs from a low dying animal to the tortured scream of a thousand dying souls... at about 3000 RPMs.

"Some turbo whine is normal." You are about to post.... Save your kind words. It is screaming at me like a dying cat. People ahead of me were checking their rear view for ambulances. Nearby dogs were having aneurysms. In short... ITS BAD.

The Car drives normally, a little less power but feels fine, needless to say I took it straight home. Do you think the dying (tortured, dead, blown, F.U.B.A.R.) turbo will damage the engine if I drive it to the dealer? Why would a just and loving god do this to my turbo? Should I have it towed? What do you call the plant a pineapple grows on? Does the warranty cover this?

Thanks guys, I will keep you informed.

-Chimp

EDIT: Drove it to the dealer, by the time I got there the turbo had ceased to make noise at all. Engine performance was sluggish to say the least. They are currently diagnosing the problem. I will keep you guys informed.

Last edited by deathchimp; 13 Apr 2009 at 12:32 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 12:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: my turbo is SCREAMING at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathchimp View Post
So, how has everyone been? I hope you have been well and not beset by the many issues that have come to plague my poor PT.

Yesterday I went to merge onto the highway and i have to say that i may have pushed the gas pretty hard, anyway the engine performs well quickly bringing me to the required 65mph. However as I close in the turbo noise gets louder, Its the hardest I have ever really pushed my car so I kind of enjoy the extra noise, sounds powerful and manly.

Anyway, I sort of "hear" might have felt, a POP and now I appear to be F.U.B.A.R. (periods added for emphasis).

Well, my RPMs go down and I am just crusing around 1500 and ya know that "manly" turbo whine? Its still there.

"Some turbo whine is normal." You are about to post.... Save your kind words. It is screaming at me like a dying cat. People ahead of me were checking their rear view for ambulances. Nearby dogs were having aneurysms. In short... ITS BAD.

The Car drives normally, a little less power but feels fine, needless to say I took it straight home. Do you think the dying (tortured, dead, blown, F.U.B.A.R.) turbo will damage the engine if I drive it to the dealer? Why would a just and loving god do this to my turbo? Should I have it towed? What do you call the plant a pineapple grows on? Does the warranty cover this?

Thanks guys, I will keep you informed.

-Chimp
Check for boost leak(s). Does it sound like a supercharger whine?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: my turbo is SCREAMING at me

it sounds like a firetruck....
boost leaks, how do I check for that?
what leaks? How much?
Is there any chance my car swallowed a whistle?