Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C not cold enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Default A/C not cold enough

OK so after my recent bout of timing belt goodness in my wifes 2001 base model - we get back to some of the other issues she has:

A/C not cold enough. Using my own 2004 Limited as a reference - her air is piss-warm compared to mine. Compressor is on, condensation forming on the lines, - compressor cycling every couple minutes - pressures are within range- but its just not cold enough. Its cool, but where mine you can instantly tell the air is on - hers takes a second - "oh yeah the air is... hmmm maybe... oh there it is its on" It can't keep up on a day like this weekend where it was 83F. This is on the freeway too so I know there was enough airflow over the condensor to cool it off.

Any thoughts before I get too deep into describing some of the other issues with the system?
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C not cold enough

Can't help you, but the A/C system seems to be a problem. My '04 GT has a leak some place. My mother's PT (forgot which year) had a problem with warm A/C a couple of years ago.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 02:32 pm
Young Cruiser

my guess would be low on feon because of a small leak somewhere, my PT does the samething since new and the dealer couldn't, wouldn't or to lazy to try and fix it. so i add appox 4-6oz of feon once a year. simple to check and remedy, just go to walmart or any auto parts store and buy the can of feon with the gage, cost is around $15-20. hook it up to the low pressure side, which you can't go wrong here eaither since the quick disconnect won't fit on the high pressure side, takes a differant size fitting, takes less than 5 minutes to do.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 02:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Note above where I mentioned that the pressures are OK. Thats both sides pressure is OK. All external indications are that the system is working as designed, but the thing is just not cold.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would have to agree with the other post and say that the system probably needs to be charged. How long has it been since the last charge?
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Literally 2 days. When the car was in the shop - they had to remove the a/c lines for the timing belt.

The air was in the same condition now, as it was before the repair. While in the shop - the system was evacuated, properly put under vacuum, and recharged.

Mechanics note: Sometimes a/c just isn't cold.

I'll go out with my own gauge tomorrow afternoon and get you operational pressures, but I guarantee there is enough freon and that there is not a leak.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did a Google search and found these....

Beneficial Automotive Maintenance

Jbabs auto air conditioning

If your air conditioner is not producing cold air, does that mean you need to get your freon replaced? - Yahoo! Answers
Old 14 Apr 2009, 07:58 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
Literally 2 days. When the car was in the shop - they had to remove the a/c lines for the timing belt.

The air was in the same condition now, as it was before the repair. While in the shop - the system was evacuated, properly put under vacuum, and recharged.

Mechanics note: Sometimes a/c just isn't cold.

I'll go out with my own gauge tomorrow afternoon and get you operational pressures, but I guarantee there is enough freon and that there is not a leak.

your mechanic might have charged you extra for removing the hoses and evacuated A/C system to change the timing belt but i bet he don't do it, it's compeltely unnecessary to remove the hoses. only one way to check the fron is to check it yourself.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Beneficial Automotive Maintenance

Does anyone know if the Cruiser has a filter for cabin air flow and where it is? I'm having a similar issue and the filter if there is one, and the freon are where I'll try to fix it.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The cabin air filter (which doesn't come with the cruiser from the factory, is located under the cowl next to the front windshield on the passenger side. If nobody who owned the cruiser before you bought a filter, then you don't have one. It costs around $20 from the dealer. It has nothing to do with the air-conditioning, only filters outside air when your moving when you have the air control on outside air, not re-circulate.