Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT cruiser overheating fan wont kick on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2009, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT cruiser overheating fan wont kick on

Hello everyone, I have had problems with my 2001 PT cruiser overheating when at a stop sign or at idle. I know that this is caused by the fan not turning on. I have replaced both the relay's, new temp sensor, checked to make sure that the fan is good and still no fan. I was told that there are two two temp sensors in a PT. Can anyone help? Thanks TJ
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser overheating fan wont kick on

There's only one Engine Coolant Sensor that I know of and what I see in the manual and that's right by the thermostat.

It sounds like you've checked everything the book tells you to check except the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) which ties everything together and needs professional services.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's probably the fan.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would have said the same thing Don except he said "he checked to make sure the fan was good".
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Possible PCM issue?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorman68 View Post
Possible PCM issue?

I think I already suggest that, but thanks for backing it up.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Apr 2009 at 12:51 pm.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im trying to get in touch with Crewzin. This is my problem i have a 2006 non turbo touring edition pt cruiser. It runs well but idles roughly. the alternator belt keeps coming loose. happened twice in four months. the ac worked fine up until recently, but now when i put it on while idling, the car shudders then idles normally then shudders again the fan does run but it doesnt seem to turn on when it should, and it seems louder than it was when i bought the car. not sure what to do or what to replace please help
Old 26 Oct 2010, 04:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Please don't pick on me. I'm not a mechanic and don't profess to be one. I pass on information that I've seen on the forums from other owners problems and Google search will answer just about anything.

As far as your problems, when was the last time you changed plugs and wires? That's the biggest cause for ruff idle unless your timing is off.

There's only one way for the alternator belt to be tightened and that's the adjustment bolts on the alternator itself. If it keeps loosening up, either your not tightening up the adjusting bolts enough or one of those bolts are stripped.

The engine shudders and idles normal then shudders again then goes normal is happening when the compressor cycles ON and puts a strain on the engine. The engine computer is supposed to raise the idle and take the strain off. You need to have it diagnosed with someone with a scanner to see if the computer is doing that and if the fan is coming on when it's supposed to to keep things cool.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 06:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for such a quick response. The plugs and wires were changed about three months ago. I shouldnt say it has always had a rough idle it seems as though this is a more recent thing. The fan was very quiet when it was running then about two months ago suddenly when the car was idling and the ac was on the fan became very loud and its stayed that way. the fan only seems to come on when you turn the ac on other than that it stays dormant, does that seem normal? Again thank you for everything.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan should be loud on the high speed mode. It's pushing a lot of air but if it's always loud, then it sounds like the low speed part of the fan has burnt out. The fan motor has a tendency to burn out some of the brushes. Again, someone with a scanner can make test and make sure both speeds of the fan are working which would test the fan motor and both fan relays and also test the computer to see if it's raising the idle speed when it needs to like when the compressor comes on or your using the poser steering in tight turns. Yes, even then the power steering unit takes power from the engine so the idle speed is raised by the computer. It all needs to be scanned.