PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2009, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Chrysler1924
Exclamation Power Steering Pump

Question for all you PT Professionals...

Vehicle: 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition [1st Generation: 1st Edition, Chrysler PT Platform, 2.4L EDZ I4, GETRAG]

Is the power steering pump on the PT Cruiser generally loud in operation? I have experience with many different Mopars and admittedly do not drive the PT Cruiser as a daily driver, but it sounds like the power steering pump on my PT is really loud. Anytime you move the steering wheel while the vehicle is running, moving or standstill, the groan of what I assume to be the power steering pump is really freakin' loud!

In order to make sure that this isn't a normal thing- that perhaps it just seems loud to me by comparison to my other Mopars, I wanted to get some input from you all.

If it matters, when you hit the gas and the engine revs, the noise gets even louder. Upon first start when the PT Cruiser is cold, the sound is there, but it's not as bad. But as the car warms up the sound gets really loud. So by the time you're turning the wheel to pull into the parking space at your destination it's a screamer.

As far as I can tell, there is no performance degradation steering wise, and I'm not seeing anything leak [yet...]. I'm not getting any diagnostic trouble codes, but I don't imagine a failing power steering pump would pop any codes anyway.
1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [3rd Generation: 1st Edition, Chrysler NS Platform, 3.3L EGA SFI Pushrod V6, Ultradrive A604/41TE]
1990 Dodge Grand Caravan LE [Gone But Never Forgotten]
Old 16 Apr 2009, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Pump

We must ASSUME that you have checked the fluid level, you didn't say so, but with all of the experience you have had with MOPARS it should be a given.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
We must ASSUME that you have checked the fluid level, you didn't say so, but with all of the experience you have had with MOPARS it should be a given.
Apologies for not saying so initially... yes I did check the fluid and the level seems fine.
1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [3rd Generation: 1st Edition, Chrysler NS Platform, 3.3L EGA SFI Pushrod V6, Ultradrive A604/41TE]
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

First, you say you have a 1st edition. Does that mean you have only 2 buttons on the dash for the front window only and none for the rear? What build date is on the door sticker?

Now on to your question. NO, the power steering pump is not loud in fact makes no noise at all. What makes you sure it's the power steering pump if you have no symptoms of a loss of power steering? The alternator is the only one with a separate belt. The power steering unit is among everything else that is under the serpentine belt...and if you do have one of the first and never changed belts, that could possibly be your answer.

Easy thing to do is put the car on a lift with a driver. Start the car with someone underneath and have him listen to see if he can pinpoint the noise.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nah, I meant that I have the first edition because: I don't have the facelifted front fascia that has only the above-bumper grille, the updated tear-drop taillights with clear turn signals, the updated front headlamps with the odd dimple in them... my PT is the original edition of the first [and only now] generation.

I think it's the power steering pump because the noise is the worst when the steering wheel is moved. I'm fairly certain it's not the alternator as it was just replaced recently with a brand-new Mopar/Nippondenso part. I've also heard this whine before when I've had power steering pumps go tango-uniform on past vehicles.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I said what I said because most of us that had the power steering pump fail (including me), it went all-at-once, no warning. When it goes, the PT steers like a tank (without power steering) and you need the muscles of a gorilla to turn corners.

There's also been owner problems with steering assemblies themselves. The column making noises and clicks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 02:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

my ps pump doesnt make any noise at all, the fluid level is the only culprit i can think of. if the level is fine, check your fluid viscuosity, it may need the be replaced.

Last edited by dunk08; 07 Aug 2010 at 03:01 am.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 02:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Is the right fluid in the pump?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson