Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 Cruiser Limited Overheating + No heat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2009, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 Cruiser Limited Overheating + No heat

Ok so this problem started up in January and instead of fixing it in Minnesota's cold winter i just used a differant car. Just started it up a couple days ago and its still doing the same thing.

The car overheats, extremely, it will fill the red up on the heat gauge if i would have let it. for the most part it cools off a little when i drive which initially made me think fan but the fan is spinnin and when i drive it just barely cools it below dangerous. So im sure its just the air hitting the engine etc...

When idle it obviously skyrockets, when in motion it is ever so slightly cooler but ive had the warning bells start charming while it was in motion as well.

In january the heat wasnt working, it seemed to work for about 3-5 minutes if that then it would go chilly and not even blow warm, i havent checked if this was the case now becouse it isnt cold out and i honestly didnt think of testing it again.

I was planning on getting a new thermostat tomorrow and see if that fixed it but im not entirely sold that is the problem, i would have thought the thermo would cause the heat to go out but not the car to overheat...

any suggestions or pointers, please?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 07:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Cruiser Limited Overheating + No heat

If you had no heat, your problem might be air in the system. You might have lost some anti-freeze somehow (which you'll want to find out how) and air got in. For the cooling system not to overheat it must be in a closed system (no air). There's a bleeder valve near the thermostat that lets any trapped air out.