Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with radiator 2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with radiator 2004

We need to replace our radiator in our 2004 PT cruiser.. Our son got in a little accident with a concrete wall and so now obvoiusly the radiator is leaking like a sive. We need to replace this our self as money is tight. I have no doubt we can do it, but is there anywhere online that can give me a step by step type instruction on doing so? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.. We need this car back on the road ASAP..

THANKS!!!!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with radiator 2004

Hi. I just answered this on another thread. You can read all that I said by clicking on this link.....

Cooling Fan died
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks, but that tells me how to take the Radiator out?? Seems your post just instructed how to remove a fan cord?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok CREWZIN.. Sorry the link you provided linked directly to just your last post in that thread.. Dumbo mean didnt scroll up and start at the begaining of the thread when I made my last post.. My fault my friend

So if I follow correctly I first remove the Grill? Looks like 4 or 5 bolts up top or so? (may be some on the bottom I just havent seen yet..

Second I remove the "top bar" not sure what its called that is above the Grill? (as shown in your picture you provided below.. the part you have hanging in front of the radiator that has the stickers on it that has the Red "hood hatch?" on it? then I should have a clear view at to the radiator correct?

Once again thanks a million times over for your assistance CREWZIN.. It truley means more then you can imagine to me!!

Chad

Last edited by chadtm80; 17 Apr 2009 at 01:16 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chad,

Had to go out for awhile.

The grill has a couple bolts at top plus two hooks at the bottom. Don't break the hooks. Top bar another couple of bolts. Layed down in my picture because I didn't want to take the hood latch apart. The bar in front of the radiator also has to come off to the radiator can lean forward so there's enough room for the fan housing to lift up and out. Upper radiator hose comes off. Electrical connection to the fan motor comes apart and about 6-8 bolts hlding the fan housing to the radiator. That's it.
I don't have the OEM air filter but if that's in the way it will have to come off too.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CREWZIN you really are incredible man! Thanks a million. Got all of that done. Now I also jacked the car up and put it on jacks stands before I actually pull the radiator all the way out so that I could just check and verify exactly where it was leaking from... Now here is the situation. When I poored in the coolant right after the accident it immediatly poored out under the car just as fast as it when it... So I just let it drain all the way out...

Now that I have it up on the stands I got my self underneath the vehicle and had my son slowly poor water into it while I layed there.. Now just as he was doing that I noticed this rubber stoper type looking thing.. It appearrs to be broken though. And I see there is a little whole above where it should of been sitting.. So could this just be that the stopper to drain the radiator broke/came out of place and all i need to do is get a new one of those? There is another one of the stopper looking things on the other side of the radiator as well.. Are there two of them? Could it be this simple? Get a new "stopper"?

I was searching online to find what the "Drain plug/s look like to see if that is infact what it is, but have to found it as of yet

Last edited by chadtm80; 17 Apr 2009 at 05:01 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, was out getting ripped off by Advance Auto

The rubber stopper in the picture of the fan electrical connection is indeed the stopper to let water drain from the radiator. I'm not sure if there's another stopper on the right side. It does sound as though that might have been your anti-freeze leak. On mine the rubber stopper doesn't actually come all the way out. You turn it counter clock wise and the water starts to drain out but it never actually comes completely out. Maybe I just didn't turn it enough, I'm not sure.