PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help... P0340 and electrical short somewhere (need correct PCM diagram for 2.4 liter)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2009, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help... P0340 and electrical short somewhere (need correct PCM diagram for 2.4 liter)

I have the P0340 code coming up on my car. I've replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft sensor, but this did not help. Then I went and bought a good quality multimeter (should have done this before getting new sensors). Here are the results:

With the key on and the PCM plugged in there is over 8 or 9 volts at the 5 volt wire going to the camshaft position sensor (orange wire). I'm guessing this is not good as it is a 5 volt wire and would expect around 5 volts.

With the key on and the PCM disconnected, there are 0.03 volts at the 5 volt wire going to the camshaft position sensor (orange wire).

So I'm guessing there is a short somewhere. However I can't find the short. I also found that there is about 0.05 volts going through the gray/black and brown wires at the PCM plug with the key on and PCM disconnected. What do these go to? The free repair in this forum doesn't have the correct PCM diagram for the 2.4 liter '02 model. (my top PCM plug has numbers 1-40).

I could really use some expert advice as I am very bad with electrical work. I get very overwhelmed looking at all those wires.

Regards,
John
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help... P0340 and electrical short somewhere (need correct PCM diagram for 2.4 li

Please, please, please, can anybody give me a clue at what I should be looking for? Or if I take this to get fixed, what kind of $$$ am I going to spend (ballpark).

TIA,
John