Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine/door open/interior lights issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2009, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check engine/door open/interior lights issue

so I was driving home earlier today and everything on my dash stopped working...no speedo, temp, tach, nothing except the odometer and the door open signal.

The door open signal was on even though all the doors were completely closed.

The interior dome light was on as well like a door was open.

after I got home I played with the doors for a while with no luck...I checked all the fuses again with no luck.

Then I started searching the internet to see what I could find...I found one post that said pull the fuse for the interior stuff for a couple minutes...I did that and after I put it back in the dash started working and the light went off.

Then the check engine light came on.......everything seems to be working at this point but the check engine light stays on and I am sure it is only a matter of time before something goes stupid again.

I have seen some posts that talk about the multi-function unit or some such thing? I have not so far had any other issues with lights or door locks or anything...

does anyone have suggestions besides the multi-dohickey or is that likely the best place to start?

any help is appreciated as this is the first time I have had to do anything besides change the oil on the cruiser (also I am not much of a mechanic...I am a weekend do it myself to save some money and I am still learning noob :P)
Old 18 Apr 2009, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine/door open/interior lights issue

The multi-function switch (stalk) is the lever on the left side of the steering column that operates the headlights, turn signals and fog lights. Don't think that is your problem as you don't seem to have problems with those functions.

Personally, I'd take off your negative battery terminal cable for about 5 minutes to reset the PCM, get rid of the engine light ans start from scratch. You'll have to figure out how to take off the air filter boxes to get to the battery.